The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Low pH, MLF not starting, help!?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2010, 03:52 AM   #1
larrybrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Low pH, MLF not starting, help!?

Did a complete fermentation of my Pinot Noir down to 0 Brix in 3.5 days. I don't know my pH, but this year was said to be acidic for the Oregon grapes. It definitely tasted tart when I sampled the juice during the crush.

The wine is now in glass carboys waiting for malolatic fermentation to kick off. I added Wyeast MLF culture Monday night after pressing. It has been 3 days and nothing is happening.

Is my pH possibly too low for the MLF bacteria to survive? What should I do next?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2010, 04:14 AM   #2
Duganson
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

Hiyas Larry, I'll chime in on this one too, if that's ok.

Well remember that tartness doesn't equate to low pH. Just this year I'm dealing with two wines that's TA is sky high yet pH is 3.69 and 3.8... lame. A way to tell is the difference is how 'alive' the wine feels as it hits your acid receivers. If you've got some actual perceivable tingle you prolly have low pH.

That being said I've never read anywhere that a low pH would inhibit Oenococcus spread. I'm thinking you're alright, just give it some time and make sure its not too cold. Shoot for 60-65 degrees Fahrenheit.

Good luck mate!

Old 10-29-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
truckjohn
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Dumb question.. but super "Tart" to me usually means unripe..... What was your OG on this stuff? Did you have to add a bunch of sugar to hit your initial SG?

The typical solution is to check this stuff before fermentation and add water to the must to hit your target acidity, then add sugar back till you are at your target sg.... but it may be a little late for that now...

Thanks

John

Old 10-29-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
larrybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

It was nearly ripe in terms of sugar content. My brix was 19.3, I added 1.25 lb of sugar. Had to harvest because it started dumping rain like crazy this week.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:22 AM   #5
truckjohn
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Yep -- you certainly want to get them off before all that rain hits and they split.....

Personally, I would just go with the age-old Home Wine Making adage....

Drink no wine before it's time....

Relax and let it age -- It'll be just fine.... It will mellow out a whole lot over the next few months....

Thanks

Old 11-07-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
larrybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckjohn View Post

Relax and let it age -- It'll be just fine.... It will mellow out a whole lot over the next few months....
Yep, MLF has taken off, just took it a week to get going. 8 gallons of Pinot Noir, here I come!

Quick Reply