Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Lots of Niagara grapes...let's make some wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2009, 02:29 AM   #1
C4PNJ4ZZ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lots of Niagara grapes...let's make some wine

i've been brewing for a couple years and I make some damn good beers. So not being one to leave well enough alone, I'm going to make the wine plunge. Let it be stated that I haven't read much about wine.

My folks have a vine of Niagara grapes that has an over-abundance of fruit right now. It is growing over a pergola on the porch. I got 4lbs of grapes after 10 minutes of picking from one small area. It got me thinking into making some small batches of wine.

Where do I start? Skins? no skins? potato masher? food processor?

What kind of yeast should I use?

If I were to do it my way, I'd smash the grapes into juice, campden tablet them then pitch some ale yeast to try to get a wine cider kind of feel.

Let's make some SWEET BERRY WINE!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2009, 01:46 AM   #2
phished880
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I could be wrong but i think if you let the juice sit with its skins you will get "red" wine juice. The redness comes form tannins. hope that is helpful....

Old 10-05-2009, 01:56 AM   #3
dogboysdad
Recipes 

Crush the fruit and let it ferment on the skins, but only for a couple of days. Then, you can press as you usually would. Niagra is a white grape. You will not end up with a red wine as a result. You will need more than four pounds.

We crushed 1200 pounds of them about ten days ago. We did an equal amount of Concord today. Later I will blend the two about 50/50 and lightly sweeten with HFCS. I don't like it sugary but some sweetness brings out the fruit. I made twelve cases of this last year. It is a great wine for non-wine drinkers.

Quick Reply