Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Looking for a recipe to make wine w/out sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #11
novalou
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda88
yes, acid in wine kills microbes so at this level you are correct. if it isn't acidic enough your wine could have e coli or some other wack evil bacteria in it.
Unless your wine gets contaminated with sewage, e coli is unlikely, but you can get spoilage bacteria without the right PH.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #12
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just remember a wine with an alcohol content of 9% or less is considered inappropriate by most for any long time storage and most consume within 3-6 months. The only way around that would be pasteurization, I would think. You mention you are turned off by amount of sugar added...you do realize the additional sugar is what produces a higher alcohol content? And sugar is found in nature, plus it is utilized during the ferment? But nothing wrong if you want to go with just grapes and yeast...many of us do that during wine grape harvest season. Just do not want you to get the wrong idea about sugar in various recipes since it serves a purpose, when necessary.

And again, the sugar content of any grape depends on what type of grape it is and when the grape is harvested and crushed/pressed. So it will vary from grape to grape and batch to batch. Same goes with apples and any other fruit you work with...so many variables. The last three brands of apple cider I recently purchased came in at 1.030-1.040. So definitely rely upon your hydrometer. Have fun.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #13
Peppers16
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jturkish View Post
I'm really turned off on how much sugar is typically added
Not to sound condescending, but if virtually all the sugar ends up as alcohol then why does it matter whether it came from fruit or was added?
I suppose there are reasons to limit added sugar based on the body of the wine and production of hangover compounds... But it almost sounds as if you're worrying about the sugar in terms of calories or something!
At any rate it's not so much "added sugar" as it is "added alcohol" in the end.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #14
jturkish
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just figured more sugar equates to more calories

I generally attempt to limit sugar intake

Old 11-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #15
springmom
Texan, by golly. Grandma by the grace of God.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Regardless of how wine is made, a 5 oz. glass is about 100 calories. By the time your wine is done, there won't be sugar in it if you sweeten to about 1.060 at OG.

If a person needs to limit carbs because of health issues but wants to enjoy wine, the means of control is portion size.

Considering: Sparkling raspberry wine, carrot wine

In Primary: Ed's Apfelwein; Raspberry Puree Apple Cider

In Secondary: Pumpkin Pie Mead; Traditional Mead; Dried Elderberry Wine; Blueberry Wine; Texas Persimmon wine; White grape/peach wine; Texas Twang; Hi, Biscus! Metheglyn; A Maize-ing Wine

So far, so good.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #16
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jturkish

Let it ferment dry, there will be minimal sugar.

If you measure SG with your hydrometer, add sugar to an SG of 1.090. Regardless of what wine yeast you use, you'll have 12% alcohol and minimal sugar.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #17
Peppers16
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jturkish View Post

I think you're misunderstanding what the sugar is for. You don't eat the sugar that goes into the wine: The yeast eats it, and produces alcohol (+ carbon dioxide). The sugar you put in won't contribute to your sugar intake (unless you drink the must before it's fermented, for some reason).

Now as it happens, alcohol and sugar have very similar calories, so you're right in that "less sugar = less alcohol = fewer calories".
But to make it clear, a 13% wine made from table sugar is no more or no less calorific than a 13% Bordeaux wine made purely from grapes (or any other fruit).

I guess it doesn't make much difference to your diet at the end of the day, I just wanted to explain that a recipe made of purely fruit isn't necessarily better for you.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:05 AM   #18
Honda88
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 51

alcohol is converted back to sugar when it gets processed in the body

Old 11-08-2012, 07:49 AM   #19
Peppers16
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda88
alcohol is converted back to sugar when it gets processed in the body
My point still stands that its the gravity of the recipe that matters, not the type of sugar that was used in the recipe.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #20
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There are a few online calculators where you can plug in your OG and FG and it will calculate calie content based on a certain serving size. Cannot remember where they are because my laptop crashed, so I cannot reference them at the moment.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Quick Reply