Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Long White Wine Primary Ferm.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
pharmhouse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Long White Wine Primary Ferm.

Whoops! I was cleaning out my basement and I found a bucket of sauvignon blanc (primary container) from April of 2012!

I have several batches of wine and beer going down there, and this one completely got away from me...!

I've let wine batches go for weeks or an extra month or two (or three) during certain stages (usually later stages), but I've never let a batch sit in primary for this long... It smelled a little off, but I've learned that it usually smells weird during winemaking.. Gravity was at .0992.

I racked to secondary (tried to avoid sediment at the bottom on the bucket) and I'm going to go ahead with the process later this week.

Just curious if anyone has experience with a batch that sat this long in primary? Is the taste going to suffer? I might try to make a champagne with this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
pharmhouse
Recipes 

So I see autolysis can occur from a long primary. I also see that this may be beneficial during champagne making..?

Old 12-20-2012, 01:31 AM   #3
pharmhouse
Recipes 

??

Old 12-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmhouse View Post
So I see autolysis can occur from a long primary. I also see that this may be beneficial during champagne making..?
Sorry Pharmhouse, just saw this thread!

Wow, that's... a long time on the lees. Yes you have had autolysis for sure, but how bad is the taint? Taste will be your best guide. How is it?

Champagne is a possibility, but blending I would not do till you get a taste.

Let me know!

Quick Reply