Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Limeade (margarita wine)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 04:10 AM   #71
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 960 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

It is possible, I had a batch of cider do that with a champagne yeast. It fermented a little warm, 78ish most of the time. It hit fg after 5 days. Applejuice is nutrient rich, and I had yeast energizer and nutrient in the batch too. I would suspect the pie filling gave you a huge nutrient influx, hence the faster yeast development. A warmish temp would have helped things along too.

The problem I had with the cider batch was it tasted very "hot" lots of apparent alcohol. It needed a little more time to condition then cider usually does, but other then that it was fine.

EDIT: I misremembered, it was distillers yeast. Here are some of my notes from that batch. It was a little while before I was able to take a gravity reading after the cider appeared to be done. The apparent alcohol didn't alter during that period, though it is possible there was a bit more fermentation taking place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Notes
08-26-12 1:00 am: Starter created. OG=1.110. Pitch, 1 tbs yeast nutrient. 10 grams distillers yeast. Base is same applejuice as for batch, great value unsweetened 100% juice. Added sugar until gravity reached. Overshot a little. Desired OG=1.100. Volume is just under 2 quarts. Split into 2 bottles to keep it from foaming over. Will be intermittently shaking.

08-26-12 11:40 pm: Batch mixed OG=1.098. Pitched full batch with starter. Boiled 1 tbs cinamon and 1 tsp cloves in tea bag for 10 minutes in some juice. Tea bag sprung a leak. About 1/2 of the spices ended up in the juice. Added to cider anyway. 11 1/2 quarts applejuice brand mentioned above. 4 lbs sugar. With starter comes out about 14 quarts or 3 1/2 gallons total volume. About a total of 1 quart of liquid was removed from the starter and the main juice. So total juice volume used is 13 quarts. The sugar made up the additional volume. 3 1/2 tsp's yeast nutrient as directed on package.

08-27-12 2:00 pm: The wort is going crazy. Airlock is bubbling 7-8 times a second. This should be interesting.

08-31-12 10:30 pm: The cider appears to be done. My hydrometer is broken so I'm not certain it is. It is very dry. No detectable sugar at all. It's actually to dry. It no longer tastes anything like apples. Just the underlying bitterness that you always get in apples, yeast, and alcohol. I can not detect the spices at all. Possibly they are being masked by the yeast flavor as the solution hasn't settle out yet.

09-02-12 2:00 am: Moved to secondary and degassed until shaking no longer increased bottle pressure. removed 2 quarts to smaller bottle in freezer about 4 hours ago. Poured off the accidental apple jack from this bottle. still tastes a lot like yeast. Can't tell alcohol content, to drunk right now.

09-04-12 9:40 pm: Got refractometer. Refrigerated cider shows 9 brix. Cider in secondary is 9 brix. Fermenation is definately done.

09-07-12 10:00 pm: Got new hydrometer today. FG is 0.98 ABV is therefore 16%. Mixture has more or less cleared in secondary. Added pectin enzyme at ratio from package.
The second gravity reading is not an error or missing a digit, I checked it 3 times.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #72
Apple_Jacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 2

using that yeast it is very possible for fermentation to go fast, especially if it fermented at a high temperature. Mine actually bottomed out at 1.012 so I stirred it up again and I've been letting it sit for the last month to see if that got it unstuck. I need to get back into brewing again; the last few months I've been very busy and a lot of my things I've been sitting around not being checked.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #73
FTG-05
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Ok, good, so it's not out of bounds for it to happen this fast.

I measured again last night, and it was right about .996 so I added the Kmeta, Sparkaloid etc. so it will be ready for the first rack this Friday or so.

The 2nd batch of SP/Limeade was right around 1.020 so I'm going to leave that a couple more days even though it started a week earlier. It's still sitting there burping away as we "speak".

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!.

Primary:
Joe's Ancient Old Mead (JAOM) 10/26/2012
American Wheat
English Bitter
Apple Jack's Limeade Skeeter Pee
Secondary:
Skeeter Pee 10/6/2012
Bottled:
NB Cream Ale and AK47 Pale Mild

Old 02-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #74
Apple_Jacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Update here: still haven't bottled it yet; my laziness has made me let this one bulk age for the past few months. The tartness seems to have mellowed from the last taste test, although if I don't sweeten anymore and leave it as-is, it might make for a better homemade margarita mix than a standalone beverage if you don't like tart drinks. I'll test making a margarita with it in a few minutes and post some taste test results.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:32 AM   #75
winenewb172
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I'm going to make this with agave nectar and have a true margarita wine!

Old 03-12-2013, 06:10 AM   #76
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by winenewb172 View Post
I'm going to make this with agave nectar and have a true margarita wine!
hmm. That might be interesting. Most of the posts I've seen from people who have fermented agave nectar indicate it's actually horrible after it's been fermented. In case you are thinking that's what tequila is made from, it actually isn't.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #77
winenewb172
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Tequila is made from blue agave stalks not white agave nectar but I've talked to some who have fermented it and had good results. It's worth a shot anyway cuz I got some given to me

Old 03-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #78
Inner10
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Tequila is made from blue agave stalks not white agave nectar but I've talked to some who have fermented it and had good results. It's worth a shot anyway cuz I got some given to me
My motto is if it's cheap and has sugar in it...make wine.

Drank too much?...Is that a thing?

A50SNAKE Likes This 
Old 03-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #79
winenewb172
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10

My motto is if it's cheap and has sugar in it...make wine.
I used 5 lbs of in along with 5lbs of honey in a grape mead and so far it is great but only a few days in so we will see

Old 03-13-2013, 04:01 AM   #80
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I will be interested to know how it comes out.

Quick Reply