Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Limeade (margarita wine)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #31
Hollie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Good morning Apple Jack. I pulled the pee out of the primary. It looks nothing like yours though. I didn't add anything to it once I put it in the secondary because skeeter pees website confused me a bit. Not sure if to add campden and such now or later when I rack again? Anyhoodle, how does it look at this stage? Is this normal? It smells like banana and lime.

imag0191.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #32
Apple_Jacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie
Good morning Apple Jack. I pulled the pee out of the primary. It looks nothing like yours though. I didn't add anything to it once I put it in the secondary because skeeter pees website confused me a bit. Not sure if to add campden and such now or later when I rack again? Anyhoodle, how does it look at this stage? Is this normal? It smells like banana and lime.
Did you do the step that calls out using Sparkalloid? That clears it up significantly. Also, did you use light or dark brown sugar and how much? Mine was darker but just as cloudy. Since I racked it, it still is dark, but not cloudy anymore. Maybe the banana yeast slurry you used lightened it up also. How does it taste?
Old 10-22-2012, 03:44 AM   #33
Hollie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I used light brown sugar in the amounts your recipes called for. I can taste it now? Well let me get on that. No I thought I use sparkaloid when I rack it the second time?

Old 10-22-2012, 03:50 AM   #34
Hollie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Wooo weee Apple Jack! It is sour! And banana-ee. I dig it! A little rough going down. Is it too late to add sparkaloid? As I have too order it online. Yowser that made me warm haha. That's the first time I tried a homebrew. :-)

Old 10-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #35
Apple_Jacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yes, when you rack it a second time you add the Sparkalloid. You can taste test your stuff any time you want really. yours sounds like its going to taste good. The tartness will mellow a little the longer it goes, but if mine is any indication, it won't go away completely.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:22 AM   #36
Hollie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Woo Apple Jack. I'm on my second rack. This stuff is absolutely delicious! Since I'm on my second rack, I added my k-meta, sorbate, and sparklloid. Honestly, it cleared up nicely before adding sparklloid. I might not use it on this again since I like the amber almost clear color. This recipe is a Keeper. I'm at 9.97% ABV and am happy that it will kick my butt! So my question is, the skeeter pee site calls for this second rack to sit for two weeks, then to rack again and THEN add the sugar? Why? In other words, why can't I just add the sugar into this same Carboy in two weeks? Is there gonna be that much more sediment to even bother?

:-)

Old 10-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #37
Hollie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oh and the tartness has mellowed significantly. :-) this recipe will be passed down to my children!

Old 10-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #38
Apple_Jacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Awesome, I'm glad it is working out for you too! Adding the sugar to backsweeten is optional. If you low the taste as-is, then don't bother with it. You would rack onto the sugar to help mix it in with your wine. I forgot to add the k meta and sorbate, so ill have to add that when I have time.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #39
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie
Woo Apple Jack. I'm on my second rack. This stuff is absolutely delicious! Since I'm on my second rack, I added my k-meta, sorbate, and sparklloid. Honestly, it cleared up nicely before adding sparklloid. I might not use it on this again since I like the amber almost clear color. This recipe is a Keeper. I'm at 9.97% ABV and am happy that it will kick my butt! So my question is, the skeeter pee site calls for this second rack to sit for two weeks, then to rack again and THEN add the sugar? Why? In other words, why can't I just add the sugar into this same Carboy in two weeks? Is there gonna be that much more sediment to even bother?

:-)
I'd rack when needed. You want to add sugar only when the wine is clear and not dropping any more sediment. Otherwise fermentation will continue.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #40
Hollie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalou View Post
I'd rack when needed. You want to add sugar only when the wine is clear and not dropping any more sediment. Otherwise fermentation will continue.
Gotcha! There's a bit of sediment still. Thanks for the tip :-)

Quick Reply