Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Limeade (margarita wine)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #11
beerman0001
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was just looking at that key lime juice the other day. Should be a great taste.

Fermenting:Apfelwein
On Deck:
Hiding in dark corner: Lambic, Flanders red, Oud Bruin, DFH 120(in bottles)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #12
Apple_Jacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 45 Posts

I just did another taste test and gravity reading yesterday. It is at 1.012 and it tastes great so far. I've read on some other forums about not using 100% lime, to do 50-50 lime and lemon juice, but the key lime juice tastes great by itself.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #13
FTG-05
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 19

As soon as I get my non-juice ingredients from NB, I'm going to make some of this. Too late for this summer, but then I'll be ahead for next summer.

Thanks for the thread!

Old 10-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #14
Hollie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Trying this on Wednesday. Hey Apple Jack, if I reduce this to a 5 gallon batch, could I get away with using one pack of yeast? Also, the yeast I have on hand is a Montrachet or champagne yeast. Would either of those work? Thanks for the recipe! :-)

Old 10-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #15
Apple_Jacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie
Trying this on Wednesday. Hey Apple Jack, if I reduce this to a 5 gallon batch, could I get away with using one pack of yeast? Also, the yeast I have on hand is a Montrachet or champagne yeast. Would either of those work? Thanks for the recipe! :-)
Im pretty sure most yeast packets are meant for 5 gallons anyway, so yes for that question. If I remember right, I used montrachet yeast with my skeeter pee and it turned out great. I don't see why champagne yeast would be a problem either. I guess it doesn't hurt to try them all and see what tastes the best.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #16
Hollie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Good afternoon Apple Jack. I am challenging myself with this recipe today w00t. Your recipe is for 6 gallons correct? If I want to make 3 gallons, I essentially just cut all of the ingredients in half except for the yeast right? Also, I do not have yeast energizer or nutrient. Can I get away with omitting those two ingredients? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #17
Apple_Jacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Good afternoon Apple Jack. I am challenging myself with this recipe today w00t. Your recipe is for 6 gallons correct? If I want to make 3 gallons, I essentially just cut all of the ingredients in half except for the yeast right? Also, I do not have yeast energizer or nutrient. Can I get away with omitting those two ingredients? Thanks in advance.
Yeah, I would say cutting the ingredients in half will work just fine. I say that, but I haven't tasted it since I checked the gravity in it, coming up in 2 weeks ago.
As for the nutrient and energizer, I would think if you made a big enough starter, or reused an existing yeast cake, you might be able to get away without the energizer. The nutrient definitely helped keep away any sulfur smells later on after it fermented about 1/3 of the way. It might be better to ask someone who made a lot of skeeter pee about skipping these 2 ingredients and what can happen, or not happen, if they aren't added.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #18
Hollie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I actually have nutrient. I forgot I bought it lol. I don't have energizer though. My nutriment has Urea in it but I used it anyway. Umm about my slurry. Is it just fine to use the banana slurry I have? I have around 3 cups of it. Also when I put it in the mason jar, it separated. Do I just go a head and plop that in the primary sometime tomorrow? Skeeter pee didn't really give an exact amount of this slurry to use. Hey thanks for getting back. I cannot wait to try this stuff! :-)

Old 10-16-2012, 11:46 PM   #19
Apple_Jacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I actually have nutrient. I forgot I bought it lol. I don't have energizer though. My nutriment has Urea in it but I used it anyway. Umm about my slurry. Is it just fine to use the banana slurry I have? I have around 3 cups of it. Also when I put it in the mason jar, it separated. Do I just go a head and plop that in the primary sometime tomorrow? Skeeter pee didn't really give an exact amount of this slurry to use. Hey thanks for getting back. I cannot wait to try this stuff! :-)
Hmm, the banana slurry could make for interesting flavors with the lime. I'd say throw the whole quantity if slurry in as a lot of it isn't living yeast. And I can't wait to try it either...mine is still in secondary. A lot of sediment dropped so I will be racking again. Just waiting on my new 6 gallon better bottle to arrive :-) perhaps I'll do a gravity check and taste test while watching the yankees lose tonight!
Old 10-17-2012, 02:05 AM   #20
Hollie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Living? Oh I didn't know that. The slurry is bubbling still. Does that mean it is living? Yankees? Ahhh must be a sport you are into :-)

Quick Reply