Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Lavender Pairing ?'s

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2011, 12:51 AM   #1
Tnoodle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts

Default Lavender Pairing ?'s

I'm wondering what flavors of fruit wine would be good paired with lavender? I have a cherry apfelewein that is clearing right now, and I was thinking about adding some dried lavender at bottling.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011, 02:50 AM   #2
Kittyfeet
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I'm assuming you have dried lavender to work with. If this is the case, how about putting some of it in a tea bag and then putting that in your carboy for a few days. That way you can determine when the flavor is right for you, and you won't end up with soap scented apfelwein.

Or, soak the lavender in vodka or everclear for a few days and you'll have an infusion. You can take a sample of wine and add a few drops of this infusion. If it's awesome, put some in the whole batch. If it tastes awful, you just saved the apfelwein from disaster.

As for other wine recipes... I've had some really good lavender lemonade in the past. How about some skeeper pee?

Old 06-21-2011, 03:31 AM   #3
Tnoodle
Recipes 

The lavender lemonade sounds great. But I also have fresh lavender to work with I have a few plants growing in my kitchen for my wife to use in the bath. I think I will rack some of the apfelwein into a mason jar with a tea bag full of lavender and sample it every 30 minutes. Thanks for the suggestions, if you have any other ideas let me know.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
Kittyfeet
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Lavender and peach? Lavender mead? Lavender and some other herb like thyme, lemon verbena, or bergamot?

Whenever I'm in a recipe rut, I consult a cooking site like allrecipes. I type in my ingredient (like lavender) and check out the desserts that contain that item. If someone can make a great dessert out of x and y combination, it'll probably make a great wine. And bonus: you have the option to make the dessert recipe first to see if You like the combination.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
Tnoodle
Recipes 

Awesome lavender mead sounds great.

Quick Reply