Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Larger volume in primary to prevent racking loss?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #11
Daze
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie_mt View Post
Uhh... yeast starter? I just use a packet of dry yeast and sprinkle it on top of my liquid when it calls for it. Is there a reason I should be using liquid yeast/yeast starters instead of the dry yeast packets?
a starter refers to rehydrating the yeast before you pitch it. a little water and a little sugar or some fruit juice, a package of dry yeast and sometimes a little yeast nutrient. put them together and let it foam up, then pitch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #12
Jacob_Marley
Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie_mt View Post
... first racking from the bucket to the 5 gallon carbouy - ... I was wondering if I'm not making my initial batch large enough - it hits the 5 gallon mark on the bucket perfectly but perhaps it should be higher then the 5 gallon mark to allow for loss on that first racking... Any suggestions to help is appreciated.
Get a bigger bucket primary.
If you don't want to spend $, Jimmy John's Sandwich shop has 6 gal food grade buckets that are just dandy. Ask them real nice (or bribe them with something fermented) if they would give you one of their 6 gallon food-grade buckets (I think their jumbo dill pickles come in a 6 gallon). They've got a store locator on their website (Find a Jimmy John's). Other restaurants might have them too.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:01 AM   #13
garnede
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob_Marley View Post
Get a bigger bucket primary.
If you don't want to spend $, Jimmy John's Sandwich shop has 6 gal food grade buckets that are just dandy. Ask them real nice (or bribe them with something fermented) if they would give you one of their 6 gallon food-grade buckets (I think their jumbo dill pickles come in a 6 gallon). They've got a store locator on their website (Find a Jimmy John's). Other restaurants might have them too.
be careful with those, or your wine will come out smelling like pickles. The pickle buckets are only 5 gallons and you can get better ones for free. A better option is icing buckets from grocery store bakeries, but those are 4 & 5 gallons not 6.
Bottled: EdWort's Apfelwein, Mulberry multi-berry wine & seconds
Up next: Persimmon wine,

Old 01-20-2012, 02:47 AM   #14
Jacob_Marley
Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnede View Post
be careful with those, or your wine will come out smelling like pickles. The pickle buckets are only 5 gallons and you can get better ones for free. A better option is icing buckets from grocery store bakeries, but those are 4 & 5 gallons not 6.
The three Jimmy Johns 6-gallon pickle buckets I have are just that ... 6 gallons.
If a restaurant has a 5-gallon, then it's a 5-gallon. If they have a 6-gallon, then it's a 6-gallon.

As far as using 4 or 5 gallon icing buckets ... uh, right ... she had asked for suggestions to help with the issue that her 5 gallon primary bucket is coming up short when going into the 5 gallon secondary.
Not that I meant this to be a difficult math post, but, the 4 and 5 gallon buckets are short for racking to a 5 gallon carboy if you leave sediment or lees behind.

The *point* to suggesting a 6 gallon bucket was to remedy exactly that.

As far as them having had pickles in them ... mine did ... they washed up fine with oxy-wash.
And no, your wine will not necessarily "come out smelling like pickles".

Any food grade bucket is ok. Icing buckets would be nice too. The point is getting the size that she needs to rack cleanly to a 5 gallon carboy.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #15
garnede
Recipes 

No argument, but the pickle buckets from jimmy johns here are only 5 gallons. So it might not be the same every where. I was just pointing out that if yours has 5 gallon buckets, then there are other free 5 gallon buckets which may be better.

Opps! I just realized I was talking about Fire house subs buckets, not Jimmy Johns. They are 5 gallon and cost $2 to support firemen. I haven't used any from jimmy johns.

Sorry for sidetracking this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob_Marley View Post
The three Jimmy Johns 6-gallon pickle buckets I have are just that ... 6 gallons.
If a restaurant has a 5-gallon, then it's a 5-gallon. If they have a 6-gallon, then it's a 6-gallon.

As far as using 4 or 5 gallon icing buckets ... uh, right ... she had asked for suggestions to help with the issue that her 5 gallon primary bucket is coming up short when going into the 5 gallon secondary.
Not that I meant this to be a difficult math post, but, the 4 and 5 gallon buckets are short for racking to a 5 gallon carboy if you leave sediment or lees behind.

The *point* to suggesting a 6 gallon bucket was to remedy exactly that.

As far as them having had pickles in them ... mine did ... they washed up fine with oxy-wash.
And no, your wine will not necessarily "come out smelling like pickles".

Any food grade bucket is ok. Icing buckets would be nice too. The point is getting the size that she needs to rack cleanly to a 5 gallon carboy.
Bottled: EdWort's Apfelwein, Mulberry multi-berry wine & seconds
Up next: Persimmon wine,

Quick Reply