Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Wine Making Forum (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/)
-   -   Kool-aid (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/kool-aid-342210/)

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer 07-18-2012 04:01 PM

Kool-aid
 
Anybody ever made a wine using just yeast sugar water and koolaid? I have one going now just for fun. Not expecting a lot out of it but it didn't cost but a couple bucks to put together. Mike

edmanster 07-18-2012 04:36 PM

have you tasted koolaid and water with out sugar? that's what its gonna be but with a hot alcohol taste.. to bring out the flavor of the koolaid you will need to stop yeast reproduction and backsweeten with sugar or let it ferment dry and add a unfermentabe alcohol sugar like splenda/stevia/maltodextrine ect..

Reno_eNVy 07-18-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edmanster (Post 4260687)
have you tasted koolaid and water with out sugar? that's what its gonna be but with a hot alcohol taste.. to bring out the flavor of the koolaid you will need to stop yeast reproduction and backsweeten with sugar or let it ferment dry and add a unfermentabe alcohol sugar like splenda/stevia/maltodextrine ect..

Yeah... I think this might be the only way to make it drinkable :drunk:

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer 07-18-2012 05:22 PM

That is kind of what I was thinking. Ferment dry and back sweeten like any other wine. Mike

Honda88 07-18-2012 09:04 PM

I have a good feeling its going to taste like rocket fuel, good luck

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer 07-18-2012 09:32 PM

You may be right on the rocket fuel. I didn't use much sugar to maybe keep it down a bit. Only got two dollars in it, so it will be cheap wine. Mike

saramc 07-20-2012 01:17 AM

I know people use the unsweetened KoolAid packet (that makes 2 quarts) to flavor their sweetened Skeeter Pee. I have talked to people who use 1 packet per gallon and others who use 2 packets per gallon--and they all enjoy the flavor.

Your recipe for KoolAid wine makes me think about a Canadian product called "Wonder Wine", http://www.wonderwine.com/, and commonly found on eBay. It is a powdered mix that you reconstitute with water, add sugar (so much for dry, so much for sweet) and add the yeast.

I find it interesting all the experiments we are willing to do--all in the name of winemaking. When my husband and I ventured into an area grocery store the day after Christmas I walked out with just about every box of chocolate covered cherries they had (the ones with the white gooey filling). He told me he did not even know I liked those. Told him they are okay but I then told him I was making wine from them. His response was "Seriously?". I am pleased to report I started that wine in late April and it cleared just this week, has a natural residual sugar, and is absolutely delicious!!! See--the strange things we do.

Keep us posted.

huesmann 07-20-2012 02:04 PM

What's the worst that can happen? He gets something like the old college student party punch--a few bottles of soda and a bottle of Everclear in a plastic bucket.

Reno_eNVy 07-20-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huesmann (Post 4265697)
What's the worst that can happen? He gets something like the old college student party punch--a few bottles of soda and a bottle of Everclear in a plastic bucket.

Oh man, you were definitely doing it wrong! If you use mostly applejuice, then some orange Tampico (not orange juice... has to be Tampico), and cranberry juice, you can dump an entire handle of Everclear in and barely even taste it.

Dangerous concoction :D

RC0032 07-20-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer (Post 4260597)
Anybody ever made a wine using just yeast sugar water and koolaid? I have one going now just for fun. Not expecting a lot out of it but it didn't cost but a couple bucks to put together. Mike

I have..I was in jail and we made it in the toilet...:tank:


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:03 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.