Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Kiwi Wine Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010, 04:31 AM   #1
prison_hooch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Kiwi Wine Question

I started 5 gallons of kiwi wine almost two months ago. I have since wanted to make it a strawberry-kiwi wine. I was considering taking a gallon of the wine, and adding around a cup of strawberries to it. I was thinking that the strawberries would ferment adding to the wine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
Emerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

since you already have some fruit flavor from the kiwis, I would suggest you use at least one pound of strawberries if you have them- the kiwis would probably overpower the strawberry.
The rule of thumb (at least around here ) seems to be at least 3 pound of fruit per gallon and some folks say put it all in the primary and some do half in the primary and half in the secondary.
MORE is better right? but I am quite in awe! where in the world did you find enuf kiwi for 5 gallons of wine?
I have often thought about trying those small hardy kiwis that make the large grape type fruits, it does grow ok here in Michigan, I'd bet they would make a good wine.
keep us all updated! I want to know how it turns out.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
prison_hooch
Recipes 

Thanks for the quick reply.

I assumed that adding the strawberries would work so I'm glad you were able to confirm my idea.

I bought the kiwi at Costco a wholesale store. It was around 25 pounds of kiwi and took about 3 hours to peel them all, which is why I was a little hesitant to try something that I thought could potentially ruin it. Here is a link to what it looks like so far: http://tinyurl.com/ya9fmjf

Old 03-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
Emerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Wow, what an odd color- but the I know that the final color will be totally different! Most of my apple wines have come out a deep golden color, except for a trial batch of apple/wildberry/odds and ends juice from the fridge- that is the most awful color but still tastes ok. looks like the color of the lake water up north in michigan! That dark tea color. lol
I am sure that others will chime in soon, some days are busier than others.

Quick Reply