Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > K meta and k sorbate

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2014, 11:39 PM   #1
Guitarman703
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default K meta and k sorbate

It is getting close to my bottling time and I had a question about these two products. When I add k meta and k sorbate to my dark wine at the end of my fermentation process do I need to let it sit in the carboy a day or two to allow the sulfur to mello out or do I immediately bottle the wine. Also is the wine ok to drink after these have been added if not how long do I need to wait thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 12:29 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4274 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

K-meta and sorbate are used to "stabilize" the wine. The k-meta is an antioxidant and preservative and the sorbate prevents yeast from reproducing.

I use k-meta at every other racking, but I only use sorbate if sweetening a wine. If your wine is finished, and you're not sweetening it, you don't need the sorbate. I try to avoid sorbate when possible, as it does have a slight taste that I find disagreeable.

K-meta should not be allowed to dissipate before bottling, as the point of using it is to protect the wine. If you're not sweetening the wine, you can bottle immediately upon racking into the sulfate/k-meta.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:55 AM   #3
Guitarman703
Recipes 

Thanks for the info. I will be needing to back sweeten based on some of my tastings do I need to give it some time after adding the sorbate before sweetening or can I sweeten at the same time as the sorbate is added. Thanks again for the help.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4274 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarman703 View Post
Thanks for the info. I will be needing to back sweeten based on some of my tastings do I need to give it some time after adding the sorbate before sweetening or can I sweeten at the same time as the sorbate is added. Thanks again for the help.
While you can sweeten at the same time, most people will wait a day or two before sweetening (or longer) after stabilizing. It ensures that the sorbate has time to work and that there is no sugar for the yeast to eat prior to the sorbate.

Quick Reply