Just Started My Christmas Apple-Cinnamon Wine - Dec. 8

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is cleared about 3/4 of the way down the carboy. There was a lot of gas when I degassed it.

Sorry for the late reply, been on vacation, I used a vacuum pump to degass it. Now that I have returned it is now clear all the way to the bottom

This is interesting, if it turns out okay I might start making one (with a bit less sugar) for this coming Christmas.

I have now tried it again, it is definitely better than before the degassing. I am not sure what to say because I have no hard cider or apfelwein drinking experience. It is really clear though, I can easily read a newspaper looking through it. I am chilling some in the fridge now to see how it is cold. It has a slight apple after taste. I am considering back sweetening it.

I have a quick question. How do you get all that sugar in the must?

Does all the sugar dissolve in the juice or do you need to boil some juice/water and add the sugar to the boiled portion?

I use a brew belt that warms the juice and fermenter up to 85F for fermentation. At that temp it is no problem dissolving that much sugar. I stir as I am dumping it in then stir every so often as the temp rises. By the time it's warm enough to pitch in the yeast, it is a nice thick syrup. No need to completely dissolve everything on the very first stir though.

I am going to have to argue that CampFireWine has absolutely never, ever tasted truly good homebrew. More likely, it seems as though he is stuck in a perpetual state of noobiness. For quite a while when I was first starting I thought my homebrew was awesome until I learned some patience. But if nothing has lasted over a month in the bottle after a short brewing process, nothing has reached its potential. This is not how we do things.

p.s. Please, for those of you that are looking into homebrewing, please do not make this "terlet prison wine"

You kill me with this. A buddy and I made some stuff that was way up in ABV and it was pretty chokable to drink. We kept calling it our "prison hooch". We have since come a long way with our home brew... good times :)

Anyway, Campfire - do yourself a favor and age this some. From the sounds of the posters who have done your recipe they have all pretty much admitted the stuff was a tad harsh. Perhaps you are missing out on what could be pretty good at the end of the day (though I am thinking no less than 6months).

I am not surprised at the outcome though, ever seen 1 year old whiskey on the shelf? Wanna know why? That stuff needs years to mellow.

I am not coming down on you, i am just saying, grow from where you are at. You might be onto something, but you will never know until you broaden your skill set. Good luck!

hell yeah im bumpin this three year old thread. bout to make this **** when i get a free glass carboy available!

i've been looking for something much higher in alcohol % to make..

Back