New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Just Started My Christmas Apple-Cinnamon Wine - Dec. 8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #21
jonp9576
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

what temperature re you fermenting at?

On Tap:warrior apa
On Tap: crystal light
On Tap:BM's centenial blonde
"Just remember that the real enemy here are those wine drinking pussies."-BierMuncher

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 05:31 PM   #22
CampFireWine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tread82 View Post
It seems like it pretty much has to be the yeast that's making it drinkable in your selected time span. That's surprising to me because it sounds like distilling yeast, and I've heard that makes everything taste awful, but I guess I haven't heard of making wine with it, just beer. Glad you can make something you and your friends enjoy in a reasonable timeline. I know a lot of people would be happy if you could do a month old, drinkable mead.

Have you thought if distilling your wine to make some hooch?
I thought about freezing and concentrating it but if it was any stronger I couldn't drink it. It's right at my level now. I can't drink shots of whiskey or anything that strong and true distilling would take out the flavor. I respect a good winery and aging of wines in that context, and I was even planning on waiting 3 months or more for a batch of wine, then when I seen this SuperYeast pack on the shelf, thats what I got and didn't look back. Almost everything I read about ageing times and fermenting times were all different. I went back and kicked the drawing board around (not literally) and came up with a new plan. If a person can add the pack to straight sugar water and make it work, surly I can make it work in juice. My first few batches were kinda 'hot and harsh' as a mater of fact I threw my second batch out because it tasted like razer blades. In the beginning I never made 2 batches the same because I was changing procedures for a better product. I made my very first mistake pitching this yeast in 50f or colder fermenter in January, so I got a thermometer and a brew belt. Problem solved. There have been many problems solved as well. I used to have an off flavor due to the gas build up. I got a food vacuum and now degas the carboy just after racking from primary. Problem solved. There are many, many, more issues like this that I had to solve on the way through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp9576 View Post
what temperature re you fermenting at?
Fermenter temp is running at 75F but anything under 85 seems to work. Lower then ~70F and it will stop. It seems 80F may be the sweet spot for the fastest fermentation. It acts like it can generate some of it's own heat when it gets going. I frequently refer to my fermenter as the 'reactor'.

Last edited by CampFireWine; 12-10-2010 at 05:43 PM. Reason: More info

Old 12-10-2010, 06:32 PM   #23
opbrew
Recipes 

please help me understand how this is ready to drink in just 3 weeks. THANKS.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #24
CampFireWine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by opbrew View Post
please help me understand how this is ready to drink in just 3 weeks. THANKS.
This whole thread is devoted to that. I really don't know how to say it in one paragraph. Just stay tooned and check my origional post for daily updates. I will try to start video taping the tricky parts if I can and posting them somewhere.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:23 AM   #25
nsw8148
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I may try this too, it sounds delicious.

I have found the whole strict timetable to be a little overrated. I also dont have very elitist taste buds ;-)

Old 12-12-2010, 10:44 PM   #26
Reaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I wish one of the "veterans" could taste this and give some feedback. People are just going to argue because there's no way to verify either side via the internet.

There's nothing like making it to the best of your ability... but there's also a place in this world for "Good Enough". Perhaps Mr Campfirewine could get connected with a the Local Brew Club (if there is one) via his LBHS and borrow some bottling equipment to help this experiment along. At least for one batch.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:31 PM   #27
Bush_84
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Who knows, maybe this is a magic recipe. I guess I wouldn't personally try it until it has been replicated by a few people. It might just be that this particular individual doesn't mind drinking wine that hasn't properly aged.

Primary- Raspberry Melomel - Raspberry Cider
Secondary-Welch Grape Wine - Mapfelwien
Bottled- Mott's Cider - Strawberry Mead - Hard Lemonade - The 84 Bushwacker (~11 abv cider) -Mixed Berry Cider - Graff
-The 84 Bushwacker v2.0

Old 12-14-2010, 02:35 PM   #28
Tread82
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think this may be more of the Thunderbird or Mad Dog than a 4 year old perfectly cellared Pinot noir or something. Thats cool and everything, to each his own...but I think it's just a different animal. Try to turn in a 20% abv wine into competition, it's gonna be laughed at. But pour it in a glass over ice at a party and I'm sure you're the most popular guy there.

I'd love to try it. Think I'll do a 2 gallon batch sometime soon just for ****es and giggles.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:18 PM   #29
CampFireWine
Recipes 

I have a feeling it will end up more like the wine version of 'Hot Damn' Cinnamon Schnapps but not as potent and a little less burning.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:51 PM   #30
Mike_Fox
Recipes 

I applaud you sir, I think this is the future of winemaking where all the snobs who say that a wine isn't ready to drink in minimum a year just shut up.I also hear snobs like that say if you ferment over 70F the wine will be "paint thinner" because of the fusels but like CampFireWine said 80F is perfect and much faster than say 65F.

Quick Reply