Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Just peachy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2014, 04:03 AM   #21
jensmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts

Hurry up and wait is the best remedy for many wine making issues:-)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2014, 09:13 PM   #22
K3rmit
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Wine making is sure testing my patience! I racked last night, and am checking pretty regularly for fermentation to pick back up. I thought it was pretty odd that fermentation stopped 2.5 weeks into it.. This seemed pretty sudden? I added sugar, 4 smaller cans of peaches and a half pound of raisins (the other half to go in when I rack later) and its approaching 24 hours, and still no signs of fermentation. Some peaches have risen from the bottom, but not all, and not like when I went from the primary to secondary!

Old 02-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #23
jensmith
Recipes 

At .990 it was done fermenting. It rarely gets any lower then that. Most wines are done with active fermentation in a week. By adding more peaches you added more suger. The yeast was resting and sometimes takes a day to get back to full speed. If peaches are floating then it is starting to ferment.
What was your starting gravidy? What yeast did you use? It is possible the abv is high enough to kill off the yeast. Especially if you did not use yeast nutriants. You will just get left with a less dry wine, less of that acidic bite you did not like.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:43 AM   #24
K3rmit
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Fermentation did pick up again. Im not using a yeast nutrient, I heard raisins were just about as good? I knew adding sugar would cause it to pick back up again, I more or less wanted to just see what would happen.I didn’t have a hydrometer when I first started, so who knows! I used Cotes de Blanc yeast.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #25
jensmith
Recipes 

Contes de blank yeast dies off around 13-14% abv. After about 4 cups of suger plus fruit per gal it is aproching its max abv. Any suger or fruit added after that point may not ferment to dry. (Of corse yeast is a living thing and will do as it pleases! So a different abv is possible.)
Yeast nutriants will help the yeast last longer and keep the stinky stressed yeast fart smells away. If you are not smelling anything stinky and are noy trying for a hight abv then you are fine without them. Raisons are not the same, but are yeasties favorite food, kinda like a snack food. Better then nothing and will give the yeast a tiny bost.
If its fermenting again then all is good!

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS