Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Just peachy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2013, 12:16 AM   #1
K3rmit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Just peachy

I recently made a 5 gal batch of peach wine. This was my first batch, so I now realized I made some mistakes and plan on making a second batch. This was my first batch-

1. 4 gal water
2. 10lb sugar
3. 20ish peaches
4. 2 packets of Red Star (regular off the shelf bread yeast, NOT turbo yeast)

I let this all sit until it was done bubbling. I made a home made airlock. Mistake #1 was- I didnt really pay attention to the type of yeast like I shouldve. As well as the raisins, and I neglected to stir it on several occasions. Mistake #2- I didnt siphon out my product, I just poured it all into another container to filter, bottle etc. Mistake? #3- I wasnt sure on how long to let it sit, and when I did, thats when all this weird sediment settled at the bottom. Im still not sure what that was, but I eventually separated it. I plan on doing a second batch with this. Let me know what you think.

1. Cote de blanc yeast. (amount for 4 gal of water?)
2. Another 20ish peaches, as well as some canned peaches for the syrup/flavor.
3. raisins. (again, how much?)
4. 1 lemon. (whats the purpose?)

Any help is greatly appreciated! My first run turned out ok for my first try, but was really a learning experience, more than anything. Sorry for such a long post!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
NicoleBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

First off I would buy the equipment needed, like an auto siphon, so you don't oxidize your wine while racking and to limit the sediment you transfer. Also I would buy a hydrometer to determine the gravity and potential alcohol in your must. The hydrometer will also be a good guide for when to rack and bottle your wine.

Bread yeast will not have a high alcohol tolerance like a wine yeast does so you probably ended up with a low alcohol sweet wine with a strange after taste. There are many wine yeasts out there that will yield different results from dry to sweet. People use raisins as a yeast nutrient and the lemon is for the acid. I'm sure other people would be much more useful for your questions as I typically just brew beer and dabble in wine.

What kid of equipment do you use?

Old 10-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
K3rmit
Recipes 

I have a pretty cheap set up. My fermenting vessel is a 5 gallon blue water jug from an upright water dispenser, and my airlock is a home made rig from youtube. I knew the bread yeast wouldnt get me where i should be, but had to start somewhere. Now, Im just curious as to how many grams per gallon of the CdB yeast I need to use on this next batch. Thanks for the help

Old 10-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
NicoleBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Usually one package of yeast is sufficient for 5-6 gallons

Old 10-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
Sammyk
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Peach throws a ton of lees. On a 10 gallon batch, we wound up with 7 gallons after the first racking. This the 2nd time we made peach wine. This year we went from 5 gallons in 2012 to 10 gallons because it is everyone's favorite. We used 56 pounds of fresh peaches for 10 gallons.

Agree on pack of yeast is plenty. We actually used 1 pack of yeast for 10 gallons because it was all we had left in stock. Fermented like a charm. We did add a few pounds of very ripe bananas from the freezer to add even more body.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:46 PM   #6
K3rmit
Recipes 

Ok so I’m bringing this thread back to life. I started another batch last night. I used a can of peaches on top of my original recipe, minus 2 lbs of sugar. This came out to more than my 5 gallon pot could handle, so I’m using a gallon jug as well. Its in my closet bubbling away right now! Ive got my raisins for when I rack it as well. Now, when I do rack it, what difference do you thing it would make if i threw in a couple cans of peaches after I put them through the blender for just a second?

Old 01-26-2014, 11:40 PM   #7
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 34

If I use fresh fruit I do like to add fruit to the primary and secondary. It gives a more "fresh fruit" flavor to the wine. The only issue with that is when you do that you add more sugar to the wine. That means if the yeast have not hot it's ABV limit then fermentation will pick back up. It does not matter if you wait 6 months and rack 5 times to make it super clear. There is almost always yeast left behind and a fermentation can pick up.

That is why many people stabilize wine by add crushed Camden tablets/K-meta and potassium sorbate. That will prevent further cell division by the yeast.

Also there is no need to blend the peaches. All the flavor will leach out easily enough. Definitely add the raisins. A good amount for 5 gallons would be about 2.5 cups. That would be about 23 of the little one ounce boxes or just under a pound and a half.

It may be too late now but a good thing to always add to peach wine is pectic enzyme. Peaches have a lot of pectin and can cause a wine to be slightly hazy and not crystal clear. So you could try adding a double dose of pectic enzyme to the secondary and giving it about 30 days and see if it clears up well. Otherwise on your next batch just use the enzyme 12-24 hours before pitching yeast and it will do wonders.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

K3rmit Likes This 
Old 01-27-2014, 04:22 AM   #8
K3rmit
Recipes 

I'm not sure how many times I'll rack this, it's just started and there's plenty of time. This will probably be the last peach wine I make, it seems like peach has more tricks than others. So the Camden tablets stop cell division, which then just allow all the yeast to die to stop fermentation? I'll post a pic of the last quart I have so you can get an idea of how clear/hazy it is. I didn't add pectin enzyme to that.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:47 AM   #9
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Camden does not stop cell division. That is actually the sorbate. Sorbate just work better in the presence of sulfites. Also the yeast do not die. They just go dormant. If you dilute the wine after stabilizing reducing the amount of sorbate percentage per volume then fermentation can pick back up.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 01-29-2014, 02:01 AM   #10
K3rmit
Recipes 

Ok so heres from my first batch with no additives. Im not going for high grade, sell on a store shelf quality, so pectin isn’t really a concern for clarity. Is there a ‘too late’ time to add camden tablets? At the earliest, I could get camden tablets on saturday, which is a week into fermentation, also when I plan on racking.

imag0219.jpg   imag0221.jpg  

Quick Reply