Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Just Made My First Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
Vox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Good morning all. I've been brewing for about a year, mostly cider. On Sunday 3/10, I made my first wine, unless you count Apfelwein. It was Winexpert's World Vineyard Australian Chardonnay kit. I read good things about Winexpert kits and this Chardonnay. Making it as a gift for my parents. So far, nothing to difficult, but I've only tackled step one. Starting OG was 1.1. Need to check the gravity this weekend. Will keep this thread updated with my progress. Any winemaking tips and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

forumrunner_20130313_074411.jpg

forumrunner_20130313_074436.jpg

forumrunner_20130313_074452.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4954 Times on 3588 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

It sounds fine- I don't really have any good tips, as they have very good instructions with that kit and simply by following the directions you will have a very drinkable wine.

If you can rent or borrow (or own) a floor corker, that is helpful because 30 bottles of wine is a pain to cork with a hand corker.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 03-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
Vox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
It sounds fine- I don't really have any good tips, as they have very good instructions with that kit and simply by following the directions you will have a very drinkable wine.

If you can rent or borrow (or own) a floor corker, that is helpful because 30 bottles of wine is a pain to cork with a hand corker.
Thanks for the tip. I only know beer brewers so I don't know anyone with a floor corker. I need to find some bottles. Any suggestions on corks or are they fairly similar other than size?

Old 03-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4954 Times on 3588 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox View Post
Thanks for the tip. I only know beer brewers so I don't know anyone with a floor corker. I need to find some bottles. Any suggestions on corks or are they fairly similar other than size?
I'd get the better ones- they aren't that much more expensive and they hold up better when you open them (don't fall apart in the wine!).

If you're using a hand corker, you'll want #8 sized corks.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 03-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
brazedowl
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox View Post
Corks are going to be standard sized for pretty much every bottle. And I only say pretty much to cover my butt incase there is one in the world that isn't. I have yet to find one...

As far as bottles... Go by an Italian Restaurant in town and talk to the kitchen manager. I go through their recycling on like Sunday morning and get tons of bottles. They need a good soaking and cleaning, but free is free.
In Progress: Ginger Spiced Cider
Bottled: oodles and oodles

"What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?"

Quick Reply