Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Juice in a can

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 10:59 PM   #1
vNmd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Juice in a can

Has anyone tried cans of juice for wine making? One I seen was county fair. The cans are specifically for wine making. They have Strawberry, peach, blackberry, etc. Instead of getting the fruit and pressing it - it is already done and in can form. It would be nice to make different fruit wines, but picking & pressing is not in my immediate future. They look a little expensive, but I haven't really looked around much. On that same note, does anyone know of another source of different fruit juices for making wines? I see the mist kits, but I am thinking more basic than that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 12:20 AM   #2
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bNmd
Has anyone tried cans of juice for wine making? One I seen was county fair. The cans are specifically for wine making. They have Strawberry, peach, blackberry, etc. Instead of getting the fruit and pressing it - it is already done and in can form. It would be nice to make different fruit wines, but picking & pressing is not in my immediate future. They look a little expensive, but I haven't really looked around much. On that same note, does anyone know of another source of different fruit juices for making wines? I see the mist kits, but I am thinking more basic than that.
I did a strawberry wine from a can like you mentioned. I also threw in some frozen strawberries as well. It makes a decent bottle of wine.

All wine kits are pretty easy. Just follow the directions.

Aside from buying juice from the grocery store, fresh juice is pretty much available during the fall harvest season.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:23 AM   #3
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bNmd
One more thing, some of the fruit cans come with fruit in juice. I recommend a nylon mesh bag. Put the fruit in the bag and include it in the primary fermentation bucket. Once you are ready for the secondary, wring the juice out of the bag and discard the spent fruit.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:58 AM   #4
vNmd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the info. I have a few things in queue, but some of them sound nice. Hopefully soon.

Quick Reply