*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > JK Black Cherry Juice Wine Primary Vessel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
corwin3083
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default JK Black Cherry Juice Wine Primary Vessel

Jack Keller has a recipe for black cherry juice wine that I want to make.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request116.asp

The few other wines I've made, there have been fruit solids that needed to be immersed in the wine during the beginning of fermentation, and therefore I used a cooking pot as a primary. However, the black cherry juice wine does not involve any whole fruit at all. Can I therefore simply start this wine in a jug with an airlock? Or is semi-open fermentation important in some way for wines during initial stages of fermentation, such that I should also use a cooking pot as a primary vessel?

Bottled - Brett B Red Wine, Dandelion Honey Braggot, Dandelion Honey Mead, Dragon's Milk Clone, JAOM, Mixed Berry Mead, SMaSH Lager, Strawberry Wine (2013), Vanilla Wine, White Grape Juice Wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
saramc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

People do it both ways, but I always use a wide mouth bucket with at least one gallon headspace as the primary, keep it covered with towel or just rest lid on top. The yeast love the access to oxygen at this point, plus you can stir the wine twice a day not to mention simple access if you need to feed it nutrient or more sugar. Once SG drops by 2/3 I then transfer to carboy and apply airlock.

If making 1 gal batch you can also score free food grade buckets from deli section at grocery...many use 2 gallon buckets of frosting or pie filling.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply