Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Island mist questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2010, 02:04 AM   #1
meanwine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Island mist questions

I just got done making one of there kits and when it was in the 8 gallon pail for the first 7 days it had a inch or so of foam from the yeast, I just started a diffrent kit of island mist and its been 6 days and it never produced the foam and the temp has been around 75 to 80 the whole time. I guess im just a lil concerned bc the last kit is a lil light on the alcohal content it tastes to be about 6% to 8% and i would like it if it was around like 12%.

So is no foam normal? And is there anything you can do to get the alcohol content up on a wine kit?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
lustreking
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The Island Mist kits are supposed to be much lower abv than a regular wine.

My brewing site:
http://brewing.lustreking.com

Old 11-17-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
kryolla
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

if you find the f pack add too much sweetness then next time add some when you add the grape juice.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Island Mist kits are made to replicate a cocktail, not a true wine.

SWMBO and I discussed how we planned to address this issue. I suggested adding a few pounds of fermentables, but she was not entirely excited about the way that would throw off the acidity, etc. (She has a lot of input in wines... couldn't care less for beer brewing, lol!)

We decided that at the end of the fermentation and whatnot, before bottling, we would dump a bottle or two of vodka into the mix and then bottle after that. We're going to use a flavored vodka that will "match" the Island Mist flavors.

How will that work out?

23L * .06 = 1.38 L EtOH in Island Mist
1.5L * .40 = 0.60 L EtOH in 2 bottles of flavored 80 proof vodka

1.98 / 24.5L = 0.08 = 8% ABV

At low volumes, each fifth of 80 proof vodka adds about 1% ABV, so you can substitute your own numbers in there and figure how much you need with some algebra (the 1% ratio isn't constant all the way to 23L). It's not as cheap as sugar would have been, but I trust that it will work out very satisfactorily in the end.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
CampFireWine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justibone View Post
Now there is a company after my own heart.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:05 AM   #6
meanwine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justibone View Post

SWMBO and I discussed how we planned to address this issue. I suggested adding a few pounds of fermentables, but she was not entirely excited about the way that would throw off the acidity, etc. (She has a lot of input in wines... couldn't care less for beer brewing, lol!)

We decided that at the end of the fermentation and whatnot, before bottling, we would dump a bottle or two of vodka into the mix and then bottle after that. We're going to use a flavored vodka that will "match" the Island Mist flavors.

How will that work out?

23L * .06 = 1.38 L EtOH in Island Mist
1.5L * .40 = 0.60 L EtOH in 2 bottles of flavored 80 proof vodka

1.98 / 24.5L = 0.08 = 8% ABV

At low volumes, each fifth of 80 proof vodka adds about 1% ABV, so you can substitute your own numbers in there and figure how much you need with some algebra (the 1% ratio isn't constant all the way to 23L). It's not as cheap as sugar would have been, but I trust that it will work out very satisfactorily in the end.
I will deff. have to do that! I put a table spoon or 2 of sugar in on the 6th day of primary fermentation and put it in the carboy to start secondary fermentation the next day so hopefully that didn't screw anything up, the SG. was like .998

Old 11-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
gicts
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

They are supposed to be a lower alcohol content wine. I add 5lbs of sugar to the primary though and follow all of the other instructions to a T. I've been doing so for about 3 years and I continue to open bottles and be amazed. I have yet to discover an off flavor.

After aging, they become the best fruit wines I have ever made. They usually ferment out to 15-14% ABV. The fruit is very prominent and the alcohol is still mild. A perfect dessert wine.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Hmm.... good tip. I'll tell SWMBO it's safe to add sugar when we do another.

Cuinrearview's Gumballhead-Inspired WPA
Pelikan's John's Red English Barleywine

Old 11-27-2010, 04:40 PM   #9
RecoTPD
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gicts View Post
They are supposed to be a lower alcohol content wine. I add 5lbs of sugar to the primary though and follow all of the other instructions to a T. I've been doing so for about 3 years and I continue to open bottles and be amazed. I have yet to discover an off flavor.

After aging, they become the best fruit wines I have ever made. They usually ferment out to 15-14% ABV. The fruit is very prominent and the alcohol is still mild. A perfect dessert wine.

I did this for my first ever kit. My wine has a bitter after taste. It is still in carboy I am hoping it gets better as it ages. Do you have same problem?

Old 11-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #10
gicts
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecoTPD View Post
I did this for my first ever kit. My wine has a bitter after taste. It is still in carboy I am hoping it gets better as it ages. Do you have same problem?
My only difficulty is degassing. Even with aging, I find bottled kit wines with more than desireable gas. Of course a little shake or leaving the cork off for 20 seems to fix the problem, but it nicer to address the problem earlier. I guess the co2 could contribute slighty to a bitter taste?

Quick Reply