Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Initial fermentation question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2005, 01:55 PM   #1
Vgonman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Initial fermentation question

Hello,

This is my first attempt at making wine, but i have successfully made beer for a year now, many batches! Well, I am making crabapple wine. I followed directions completely, and of course everything was sanitized. I have the must in a 5 gallon beer fermenter with an air lock on it. When i take the lid off to stir the must, it is really sizzling in there...........fruit looks fine, when i stir it it really starts sizzling even more. If you dare to put your head in the bucket and take a whiff, it is sort of an oxygen dpleted area...does not smell bad, really, but not sweet or apple odor at all. Should i be alarmed or is this normal for this first week before i siphon off into another container and leave the fruit behind?

Last edited by Vgonman; 08-03-2005 at 08:15 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2005, 03:17 PM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've never made wine, mead, yes, wine, no.

As for your description, I'd leave it alone for another week or so.

As for sweetness...crabapples don't have any that I am aware of. I have 6 crabapple trees in my yard. I just purchased the house and they were there already.

Old 08-03-2005, 08:16 PM   #3
Vgonman
Recipes 

You are correct, crab apples are not sweet, but i added some sugar and granny smith's (per the recipe) and that should have sweetened it up a bit..............

Old 08-04-2005, 01:02 AM   #4
AlaskaAl(e)
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've never made wine either but, unless I'm mistaken, you're okay. I don't imagine it would smell any different than when I open my lager chest. I fling it open and it about takes the air out of my lungs.

Old 08-04-2005, 02:54 AM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You should be good to go then!

Old 08-23-2005, 06:25 PM   #6
kilroy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As long as you had a 1.080 -> 1.095 Gravity, then you should be good. ferment down to about 1.010 -> 1.020 in primary, then transfer into glass.

Kilroy

Primary:
Nothing - Out of room - have to bottle something before I can fit more on the aging shelf.

Secondary:
Lost count, too many damn carboys

Old 08-26-2005, 01:40 PM   #7
CaptainObvious
Recipes 

Default Rotten Egg Smell

The only problem that I've heard of with wine not starting to ferment well can be easily detected by a rotten egg type smell. This is a biproduct of the metabolic activities of the yeast when it does have everything it wants and is a sulphur compound. To fix this problem all you have to do is stir. That's right, something that would be pure evil in beer brewing, wisk the must just a bit to put some oxygen in it if this is the case. Otherwise, no-go on the wisking for oxygen. This is a common problem in wine brewing, although I don't know how it would translate into crabapple wine.

Capt. Obvious

Quick Reply