New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Idophor for no rinse sanitising?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 05:20 AM   #11
Austinhomebrew
Vendor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I am not saying you can't use Iodophor on anything. I thought he wanted an opinion. You will have to use the right amount of either. I would use potassium metabisulphite. If you have the slightest amount too much of iodophor it will not dissapate and will taste like a band-aid. If you have the slightest amount too much of metabisuphite it will dissapate but it will have a slight sulphur taste.

If you use the metabisulphite in the correct amount and you don't rinse it will help the wine last longer. If you use the Iodophor in the correct amount and you don't rinse everything will be fine but without the added bonus of the wine lasting longer.

Forrest

Last edited by Austinhomebrew; 09-18-2009 at 05:23 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2009, 01:44 AM   #12
Mr. Nice Guy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew View Post
I am not saying you can't use Iodophor on anything. I thought he wanted an opinion. You will have to use the right amount of either. I would use potassium metabisulphite. If you have the slightest amount too much of iodophor it will not dissapate and will taste like a band-aid. If you have the slightest amount too much of metabisuphite it will dissapate but it will have a slight sulphur taste.

If you use the metabisulphite in the correct amount and you don't rinse it will help the wine last longer. If you use the Iodophor in the correct amount and you don't rinse everything will be fine but without the added bonus of the wine lasting longer.

Forrest
True! Campden=good iodine=bad

10/13 on the way - Strong Ale!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply