Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Idiot proof wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #11
Arpolis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinstan View Post
What is the purpose of the black tea? I have seen this more and more recently but I cannot figure out the purpose. Is it just for flavor?
The tea is dropped in loose. It will fall with the sediment just fine. It adds tannins and a little body to the wine. Just rounds it out is all.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #12
kevinstan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpolis

The tea is dropped in loose. It will fall with the sediment just fine. It adds tannins and a little body to the wine. Just rounds it out is all.
Does it matter what type or flavor of black tea ? Also does it change the color of the wine using tea in it ?

Old 05-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #13
Arpolis
Recipes 

Quote:
Does it matter what type or flavor of black tea ? Also does it change the color of the wine using tea in it ?
There may be a color change but I do not notice it really. Purple concentrate is still purple. Peach is still peachy... The tea does effect the flavor and the level of tannins is effected from tea to tea.

For instance black tea provides high tannins and better mouthfeel but can be more bitter. Earl grey has bergamot oil in it and I think that helps to soften the bitter tastes. Raspberry zinger tea from celestial sesoning is an herbal tea that has most of the "tea" coming from raspberry and blackberry leaves with hints of real raspberry, sweet orange peel and licorice root. That will give less tannin and mouthfeel but will accentuate some fruity character.

Just use what you like to drink and it should come out fine.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 05-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #14
kevinstan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpolis

There may be a color change but I do not notice it really. Purple concentrate is still purple. Peach is still peachy... The tea does effect the flavor and the level of tannins is effected from tea to tea.

For instance black tea provides high tannins and better mouthfeel but can be more bitter. Earl grey has bergamot oil in it and I think that helps to soften the bitter tastes. Raspberry zinger tea from celestial sesoning is an herbal tea that has most of the "tea" coming from raspberry and blackberry leaves with hints of real raspberry, sweet orange peel and licorice root. That will give less tannin and mouthfeel but will accentuate some fruity character.

Just use what you like to drink and it should come out fine.
Thanks for the info. One last question, would this be the same as just using powdered grape tannin from my LHBS? Or is there any benefit of using tea over tannin powder ? Or vice versa ?

Old 05-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #15
Bigjack68
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Thanks for the help folks... I think I'll try Yooper's Welch recipe. I may just use liquid grape juice instead of concentrate though ...

Old 05-21-2013, 11:40 PM   #16
Arpolis
Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks for the info. One last question, would this be the same as just using powdered grape tannin from my LHBS? Or is there any benefit of using tea over tannin powder ? Or vice versa ?
I have never used the grape tannin. The idea is the same but do not know if one is better over the other. I am just a big tea drinker and incorporated it into my brewing since it would accomplish my ends.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #17
jak1010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 302

Been wanting to make this for a while now. I'm a fan of concentrate wines and this one sounds good. Been doing rice wines and loving it. I'll be doing this wine this weekend.

Add to this thread or just read it and have a few laughs.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/ocd-...rences-458188/

Old 08-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #18
texcan2000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yooper, I would love to try the rhubarb wine. Unfortunately that stuff when available is expensive down here in Texas. Definitely going to try a small batch!

Old 08-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #19
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by texcan2000 View Post
Yooper, I would love to try the rhubarb wine. Unfortunately that stuff when available is expensive down here in Texas. Definitely going to try a small batch!
My neighbors told me that it's like $8 a pound at HEB! I couldn't believe it, because it grows like a weed here. When they bought a summer place in Wisconsin, the first thing they planted was rhubarb!

I wish I could give you some- I have so much that went to waste. I froze enough for a 6 gallon batch, the the rest is still out on the plants and no longer good (rhubarb doesn't do well in heat).

Old 08-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #20
Bluespark
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

If you ever do a road trip to Canada, please take some of my rhubarb!!! I have three plants that produce insane amounts, plus friends constantly trying to give me some and a couple plants growing wild in the alley behind my house.

Quick Reply