Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Idiot proof wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2013, 12:22 AM   #1
Bigjack68
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Idiot proof wine

Well I have successfully brewed up a batch of apfelwein so now I would like to brew up some wine. Anybody with some Idiot proof recipes they can share? Any suggestions would be much appreciated...

Old 05-21-2013, 01:08 AM   #2
jagg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Congrats, go to the recipes forum, look for wine, there are a lot of recipes there, also you can go to ec kraus.com, they have a large selection of wine recipes, good luck on your next batch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 01:40 AM   #3
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 35

The simplest wine I ever made that had the least fuss was my Welch's wine. Here is the recipe:

1 gallon Welch's wine

4 cans of 11.5oz Welch's frozen concentrate (I like white grape peach)
1 TBS of black tea (I like Earl grey)
Water to 1 gallon
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
Yeast (lalvin 71B)

This makes a great dry young wine. Aging helps and it could be easily stabilized and back sweetened if you like but I think the white grape peach is awesome dry. Just let it ferment dry over 2 weeks. Put the jar/carboy in the fridge and wait another 2 weeks. Should be crystal clear. No need for secondary just siphon off the top. Should get 4 750ml bottles worth without disturbing the lees.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

jhoson Likes This 
Old 05-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
kevinstan
Recipes 

What is the purpose of the black tea? I have seen this more and more recently but I cannot figure out the purpose. Is it just for flavor?

Old 05-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
jhoson
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm new on brewing stuff, but if I recall the tea will provide Tannins.

http://www.wineanorak.com/tannins.htm

Old 05-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
kevinstan
Recipes 

So is it just loosely placed in with everything else ? Or in the bag or a grain bag if some type ?

Old 05-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4947 Times on 3584 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

I have several super easy recipes posted. (Either in the "tool bar" above, under recipes, or under my avatar on the left). I do a lot of simple fruit wines, from rhubarb wine to dandelion wine, and they are all very easy.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 05-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
StoneArcher
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 131

I am relatively new to winemaking as well, having four batches going; never bottled a batch as of yet. So, I would say I may be in a similar boat as you, just a tad downstream from where you are sitting.

I would suggest two recipes, these were (are) my first two that I did (am still doing). Dead simple.
For a mead: JOAM - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/joes...ad-joam-45152/
and even simpler:
For a wine: Yooper's welches wine recipe. - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f79/welc...ce-wine-21093/

My notes on the two I suggest:
On the JOAM, do not under any ciecumstance alter the recipe. Once you have your first batch as a constant, then vary as your heart is content. Until then, just do the recipe as stated. There are copious threads of folks who alter the recipe without first doing it normally with problems. Do it how it reads first so you know what to expect. I just tasted mine after about two months; tasted like puke, but I will keep aging and holding out for it.

On Yooper's welches wine, I did mine with Welches apple cranberry juice. Tasted it at the one month racking; Wow. Tasted great (for what it is, of course) the better half liked it too - Which says a bit, she isn't a big drinker. I could have drank it then, but I racked anyway. This wine I did with Lalvin EC-1118 yeast, it was quick, and little foaming (read, dead simple, no mess).

I don't know if it's because I am a yooper as well, but I do love the simplicity of the Yoopers Welches Wine recipe. I am going to get ten more gallons of it going after I clear some room out.

Hope this helps, and by all means, keep us posted on your progress! Best of luck!

Old 05-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #9
Kdog22
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 82

+1 on the Welches concentrate wines. I've done numerous batches of them and they tend to be my favorite. White grape peach and white grap raspberry tend to be the best flavors.

My recipes normally include 3 cans, 3/4 cup of sugar, yeast and yeast nutrient and water to 1 gallon. After 2-3 weeks, I rack and let age or start cold crashing.

Very tastey stuff made real cheap and easy. Takes maybe 10 mins to put everything together.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #10
StoneArcher
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 131

I agree that the welches are one of if not the easiest that I have seen.

Another point to add for the welches is that it seems (although I could be wrong, since I have not fully completed any) that they are a quick wine too. How long from combining ingredients to drinking? Like I mentioned I tasted mine after a month or so, and it was suprisingly good.

Another mention as it seems, is that it lets you meddle with the recipe a bit. Add some rasins, maybe some of this or that, substitute some of these for those, etc.. JOAM seems intolerable to torking on the recipe. Most recipes do let you meddle without totally botching the batch though I guess, as I have been reading.

Oh! One more point, which I am sure you already know: read, lots! This place has a metric ton of knowlege. I have just started posting here and there, but have been reading and planning for a couple years now. (I live in an apartment, and have moved every year for the last four years, and have been busy as heck. Early in a career... ya know, move where the money is.) You could spend an eon reading just this site alone. I just read through the dandelion wine thread, since it's that time of year! ( http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f79/dandelion-wine-21095/ ). There is a lot there, and you will learn a ton just from reading through other folks holdups and misteps.

Quick Reply