New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > I want to make some wine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2007, 09:43 PM   #11
MikeRLynch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Any of the Welches concentrate wines are quick to ferment and drink. As long as you keep the ABV down to about 7% or so, it'll be ready fairly soon (< month). I'm sipping on my White Grape Peach wine, 7.5% ABV. It took two weeks to ferment out and almost totally clear. I bottled at week three, just to be safe. It's very drinkable now (my tastes are a little less discerning than some on this board ) But ageing for another month makes it downright gold. Absolutely a panty remover, my fiance thinks it tastes like a fuzzy navel

mike

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2007, 11:22 PM   #12
LouT
Can't wait to go AG...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin' Lion
My first batch of wine I bottled half of the batch and bagged the other half. The bags are made of Mylar (I think) and fit into a plastic holder--wine on tap. My SWMBO loves this and helped me justify a kegerator.
Cool, I like the bag concept - if SWMBO likes to drink frequently enough it's a lot easier than dealing with bottles. Where did you get them?

Also, was this wine ready quickly ( overall how many weeks?)?

Primary - California Common -finally!
Secondary - nothing, back after year plus hiatus
Keg carbing & conditioning - nada
Drinking - store bought: Loose Cannon IPA, Wachusett IPA.
On deck: Trying to decide (beer); wine kit likely (red wine)

Old 03-09-2007, 11:23 PM   #13
LouT
Can't wait to go AG...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tophe96
This is suppost to be good in a month or so. Thats one reason I bought it.
Is it sweet, semi-sweet, or considered dry but with sweetness/fruitiness? I guess you haven't tasted yet, but I know my SWMBO isn't big on sweet whites, but also hates oaky Chardonnay's, so I have to pick something closer to pinot grigio type of taste...

Old 03-09-2007, 11:26 PM   #14
LouT
Can't wait to go AG...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLynchLtd
Any of the Welches concentrate wines are quick to ferment and drink. As long as you keep the ABV down to about 7% or so, it'll be ready fairly soon (< month). I'm sipping on my White Grape Peach wine, 7.5% ABV. It took two weeks to ferment out and almost totally clear. I bottled at week three, just to be safe. It's very drinkable now (my tastes are a little less discerning than some on this board ) But ageing for another month makes it downright gold. Absolutely a panty remover, my fiance thinks it tastes like a fuzzy navel

mike

We're in the almost-40 age bracket, so if it doesn't taste like actual quality wine, she probably won't drink it -- but, I like how you think!! I may try to do a gallon of this just so I can know what the welches type wines taste like when done -- I bought a packet of Lalvlin 1122 yeast with that in mind.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:57 AM   #15
Tophe

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think its considered a semi-sweet wine, actually its a riesling I believe. Checkout the kits from NB or Midwest supplies. They have descriptions about them too.

All tanks are empty :(

Drinking: A two year old keg of Eff'd up MawN Lower Beer I made !
TindleKrauft Brewing

Old 03-10-2007, 12:58 AM   #16
Tophe

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How much concentrate do you use for those?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLynchLtd

mike

TindleKrauft Brewing

Old 03-10-2007, 05:58 PM   #17
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Tutorial Link

Its funny you posted this. I thought it would be cool to try making my own wine. That way I would have something whenever company comes over. The SWMBO brothers are little bit of wine snob type.

I can't believe how pricey the wine kits are as compared to a similar sized batch of beer. Why is that?

I found this link. It would be good for anyone treading into new territory.

http://www.grapestompers.com/tutorials.asp

I like the cheap corkers rdwj had at the start of this post. I'm gonna get me one and some bottles.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 03-10-2007, 06:21 PM   #18
Mikey
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla

I can't believe how pricey the wine kits are as compared to a similar sized batch of beer. Why is that?
Very simple- it takes top quality wine grapes to make top quality wines. Since demand always outstrips supply, the price of suitable grapes goes up.

There's no shortage of top quality barley or hops, so the price of these ingredients is very very low.

The 30 or 60 day wine kits do include some actual wine grape juice, but there's lots of additives and chemical wizardry also in the juice.

There's lots of non-wine grapes (like the concord grapes that go into Welches) or poor quality wine grapes available, so the price of these is low.

The top-of-the line wine kits (in the $120-150+ price range) do have a quantity of very good quality wine grape juice included, but they take at least a year, perhaps two before the wine is matured enough to be at it's peak. These wines will equal what you'd pay $7-$15 a bottle for in the store so there's not huge cost savings to be had.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:54 PM   #19
LouT
Can't wait to go AG...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What about doing homemade wine without the "kits", but with some type of juice from a wine vineyard instead of actual grapes? Seems this would allow for making wine this time of year vs. only at harvest time, and (perhaps) be a bit less costly than the kits....
Comments, sources?

Old 03-10-2007, 07:18 PM   #20
Tophe

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ive got some learning to do before harvest time. My SWMBO's dad lives on a vinyard that sells grapes to St Julians and/or Welch's. Both have plants right near by. I'll have to figure out what kind of grapes they grow out there.

My kit was like $50 for a wine expert kit. I figure it comes out to about a buck and a half for a bottle in the end, so thats not bad. I mostly like knowing that I made it.

I am curious about making them from welch's juice, since her mom works there. I could get that juice for very cheap.

TindleKrauft Brewing

Quick Reply