Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > I tried cider but turned out like a wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
melihbozkurt84
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I tried cider but turned out like a wine

Hi everbody;

I tired to make a cider. I used 100% apple juice and I squeezed 1 kg apple and put in it. It was 1 gallon patch. Because of lack of cider yeast I used young`s super compound wine yeast. Fermentation stopped after 4 days. I waited until a week. Then I taste it a bit. It turned out like a wine rather than a cider. Smells and tastes like wine but I think alcohol ABV is not more than 6-7%. I didn`t measure that but I had a glass of it, I guessed ABV. Then I syphon that to another demi-John. I just wonder If I put some brown sugar, new patch of yeast in it and leave another fermentation. Can it be possible. If it is do you think, it turns out well?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2009, 02:14 PM   #2
bradjoiner
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

if you use wine yeast it is going to turn out like wine. i would recomend if you are going to try cider again you use nottingham yeast if you dont have any cider yeast

Old 12-29-2009, 02:40 PM   #3
melihbozkurt84
Recipes 

Thanks for suggestion. It was very snowy week in here. Roads were closed and I haven`t got vehicle also my home brewing supply very far away from me. I couldn`t go there. I found wine yeast in my supermarket I gave it a try.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
ByCandleLightWinery
Recipes 

I'm assuming you didn't add sugar, so that is good. I'm a tad concerned about the fermenting time. There is Midwest Brew Supply, who will ship you just yeast for something like $5 or so.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 350 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 52

If you add brown sugar, my bet is going to be that your cider will restart fermentation and the ABV will be higher.

You mentioned that it tastes more like a wine than a cider, is there a commercial cider you were trying to clone? Just a shot in the dark but a lot of good UK cider comes from Somerset. Were you wanting to make one from that area?

Old 12-29-2009, 04:00 PM   #6
melihbozkurt84
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teromous View Post
If you add brown sugar, my bet is going to be that your cider will restart fermentation and the ABV will be higher.

You mentioned that it tastes more like a wine than a cider, is there a commercial cider you were trying to clone? Just a shot in the dark but a lot of good UK cider comes from Somerset. Were you wanting to make one from that area?
No I didn`t want to clone any commercial cider. I found some reduced price 100% apple juice and apples. I wanted to try a cider. It was my first cider. I have been brewing a beer for year or so but I never tried cider or wine. I didn`t find any cider yeast and tried wine yeast. Now It tastes like wine so I want to improve alcohol level and make it a wine. I just wonder If I add sugar and yeast, Is it going to be a good wine?

Old 12-29-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
bradjoiner
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

if you add some sugar it will definatly up the alchohol and probably make a better wine. i would recomend letting it sit for about 4 months after adding the sugar ad after you make sure the fermentation starts. if you havent aleady done so i would also recomend raising the temp back up to about 60 degrees F. i would think darker sugars would impart more caramel type notes. hope that helps

Old 12-29-2009, 07:03 PM   #8
melihbozkurt84
Recipes 

Thank you

I haven`t add sugar yet. I will buy some sugar and add this night. I use fermenter heater for heat up the temperature in the demo-John but it hasn`t got temperature control. When I brew beer I use inside heater which has a temperature control but it doesn`t fit in 1 gallon demi-john so temperature will be high enough with fermenter heater anyway. I will write here, after adding sugar.

Thanks again,

Old 12-29-2009, 08:03 PM   #9
mmadmikes1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

6% to 7% is about right for cider. let it set and see how it turns out. you can always add sugar and yeast later and make a real apple wine out of it. Start another batch instead of messing with this one. It might turn out great with a little time.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:22 PM   #10
melihbozkurt84
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmadmikes1 View Post
6% to 7% is about right for cider. let it set and see how it turns out. you can always add sugar and yeast later and make a real apple wine out of it. Start another batch instead of messing with this one. It might turn out great with a little time.
To far to late. I have just added 500 gram of brown sugar in it and syphoned to another demi-john. Then plugged the fermenter heater again. Time will show as how it turns out.

Quick Reply