Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > I puree'd my grapes, now what?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #21
Grimster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm just mister 20 questions today. How do you remove the skins without ending up with aeration? I get the idea of putting them in a mesh bag but pulling it out is gonna result in splash would it not? Also you're supposed to squeeze the skins since they'll be full of yummy wine (or so a few things I read said) so how do you do that and not result in oxygenation?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 04:58 PM   #22
rawlus
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 12

for a small home batch, easiest way is to put the bag of skins into a large colander over a larger bowl or other container, and use sanitized hands to press out as much of the juice as you can. a mechanical press is superior, but not practical for many home winemakers. and a mechanical, you have to back off a bit as it is too efficient and can actually introduce green flavors and negative astringency if pressed too hard. hopefully, with the addition of pectic enzyme, you will see good extraction of juice during primary ferment, as alcohol increases that should help in juice and color extraction as well... what may appear now as jelly-like grape insides and skins should end up being more free run juice and skins, which will make separating them easier at least. when you pull the bag, a good deal of juice should be left behind, and the bag should be mostly wet skins... so you'll press these wet skins in the bag using the colander and other container, and then reintroduce whatever juice you get out of the skins, into the juice that was left behind when you pulled the bag out.

by pressing before fermentation is completely done, you should be minimizing O2 exposure well enough.. and once it gets back under airlock, should have some bubbling to go before it's done.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #23
Grimster
Recipes 

Ok so strain my stuff, then tie the bag off and put it back in the fermenter, add pectic enzyme and pitch yeast, then just remove bag and press it after the primary (for maximum red) or toss the bag before fermenting (for a much lighter colored wine)? Sounds like maybe I'm getting an idea now

Old 08-09-2010, 05:20 PM   #24
rawlus
Recipes 

i would not toss the bag before fermenting, most of a grape's flavor is in the skins, the jelly-like inside is mostly sugar and water.... just add your enzyme and ferment now, then press, rack and go with your oak.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #25
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4469 Times on 3252 Posts
Likes Given: 868

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
i would not toss the bag before fermenting, most of a grape's flavor is in the skins, the jelly-like inside is mostly sugar and water.... just add your enzyme and ferment now, then press, rack and go with your oak.
Exactly. Put the pulp, skins, seeds/whatever, in the bags and tie off. Add water/sugar to get you to 1.090ish. Ferment 5 days or so, and take out the skins/pulp when you get to 1.020ish. Squeeze the bag, it's fine. Some splashing is fine at this point- you've used k-meta (right?) and you're still fermenting quite a bit. Don't worry about some splashing when you squeeze the bag. As a matter of fact, you will notice that your fruit bags will float during primary. Stir it a couple of times a day, pushing down the "cap" with your sanitized spoon. You don't want the floating fruit bag to dry out so don't be afraid to stir it up and push down the fruit.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #26
Grimster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Exactly. Put the pulp, skins, seeds/whatever, in the bags and tie off. Add water/sugar to get you to 1.090ish. Ferment 5 days or so, and take out the skins/pulp when you get to 1.020ish. Squeeze the bag, it's fine. Some splashing is fine at this point- you've used k-meta (right?) and you're still fermenting quite a bit. Don't worry about some splashing when you squeeze the bag. As a matter of fact, you will notice that your fruit bags will float during primary. Stir it a couple of times a day, pushing down the "cap" with your sanitized spoon. You don't want the floating fruit bag to dry out so don't be afraid to stir it up and push down the fruit.
I shall do exactly this then, pour into 5 gallon strainer (all sanitized) squeeze it as best I can, tie it off, let it soak. Add water and sugar to make a full 6 gallons and 1.100(ish) SG, meta it for 24 hours (24 right?) add pectic enzyme, and then pitch yeast. Stir daily for about a week, rack, wait for 1.000ish OG then re-rack with chips tasting say, once a week? less or more? for oak quality I seek, re-rack when oak quality is reached, let clear for months, bottle when clear.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #27
rawlus
Recipes 

you got it. it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a book or do some online reading. but that's the gist of it.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:31 PM   #28
Grimster
Recipes 

That's what I'm doing now But yeah the grapes were dumped in my lap Friday night so I kinda leaped before I looked (such as pureeing them up I thought hey if mashing them by foot is good, a hand mixer should ROCK right?). So here we are I'm hoping to create something drinkable at least.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:35 PM   #29
rawlus
Recipes 

let us know how it turns out!

Old 08-09-2010, 10:08 PM   #30
Grimster
Recipes 

Ok so here we go the "trub" floated to the top, so I just opened the spigot.:

It's almost a 50/50 mix of pulp and pretty watery "juice".

See how dark red this stuff is, actually almost purple are you saying if I ferment this without the skins I'll end up with a blush wine rather than a full on red? Or did my pureeing the grapes maybe put more color into my juice than is seen doing it the "right" way?

So is the recommendation from the gurus (hi Yooper) to just sugar it to a 1.100 or so SG and then sulfphite it, wait 24 and then pitch and wait? Should I maybe split this up into 2 5 or 6 gallon batches and cut with water and sugar to preferred SG? Maybe make add some basic store bought grape juice to take it to 2 batches? Or is this a fairly normal 6 gallon batch of wine and I'm just a total newb?

Quick Reply