Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > I puree'd my grapes, now what?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2010, 12:43 AM   #1
Grimster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default I puree'd my grapes, now what?

So my mom dumped about 5 gallons of (edit: concord) grapes on my door this weekend to make wine with.

So I destemmed and washed them and then used my hand mixer to puree those babies.

Now I have what amounts to a sludge, do I need to add more water? Lots of water? Sugar?

I also had about a gallon of homemade elderberry juice and some blueberries I added to the mix.

Should I strain this through a paint strainer now? Leave the goop in there and ferment it once then filter? I've only made beer and some wine "kits" this is my first go at all homemade wine.

UPDATE 10-04: I am ready to bottle, should I simply rerack and put in some clarifier (I have a packet of that chitin stuff) and bottle after a day or two, or should I do more?

I remember on my last wine kit it actually had me aerate the wine during the end which seems counter to everything I've learned about beer. Should I aerate when I put in the clarifier? I'll also sulfite it as I bottle since I plan to try and age a few of the bottles for as long as I can stand it.

Last edited by Grimster; 08-09-2010 at 12:46 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 01:45 AM   #3
Grimster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
You smashed it all up? Skins and all?
Did I screw up?

Old 08-09-2010, 01:46 AM   #4
rawlus
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 11

not really supposed to puree it. it will be difficult to clear that way... supposed to gently crush the grapes, to open the skins, ferment on the skins then press the skins to get the fermented juice out. may be difficult to do this if you have emulsified the skins and juice into one big slurry/smoothie.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:49 AM   #5
rawlus
Recipes 

either way, you dont typically add sugar or water.... what are your SG readings? what yeast are you using? wine is a completely diff animal from beer IMHO... it likes warm ferments, requires loads of patience, wine often needs multiple years of aging to be drinkable.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:54 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
not really supposed to puree it. it will be difficult to clear that way... supposed to gently crush the grapes, to open the skins, ferment on the skins then press the skins to get the fermented juice out. may be difficult to do this if you have emulsified the skins and juice into one big slurry/smoothie.
Yeah. But..........................................

You can put the pulp in big mesh bags. Get an OG (by adding sugar) of 1.090-1.100. Take the OG first of your pulp to get a rough idea how much sugar you might need. My guess is about 2 pounds per gallon, because concords aren't particularly sweet. Bring the OG up by adding sugar, dissolved in water. Plan on about 6 pounds of grapes per gallon, and use water/sugar to make it up to one gallon. Add 1 campden tablet per gallon (dissolved) and let sit. After 12 hours, add 1 teaspoon of pectic enzyme per gallon. After another 12 hours, add the yeast.

In about 5 days, remove the pulp. You can squeeze big mesh bags to get out the juice. Then, rack and top up into a carboy of the "right" sized batch (you'll lose alot of volume with the pulp gone) and let it ferment the rest of the way.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:57 AM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
either way, you dont typically add sugar or water.... what are your SG readings? what yeast are you using? wine is a completely diff animal from beer IMHO... it likes warm ferments, requires loads of patience, wine often needs multiple years of aging to be drinkable.
Sorry to interject here- but concord grapes always need sugar and water. They are acidic little buggers, not like wine grapes. They need some sugar added and then you dilute the must to reduce acidity. So, about 6 pounds per gallon. Crush them up, add sugar (1.5-2 pounds) and water to get a gallon total.

Wine grapes are a different ballgame altogether but we're not dealing with wine grapes. You can treat concord grapes as you would other fruit- like blackberries for example.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:07 AM   #8
Grimster
Recipes 

So paint strainer that fits in a 5 gal bucket, pure puree in there, and ferment in that for a few days, then squeeze the goodies out? (cliff notes version)

Old 08-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
rawlus
Recipes 

my mistake on the concord grapes, i am only familiar with wine grape processes.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:25 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimster View Post
So paint strainer that fits in a 5 gal bucket, pure puree in there, and ferment in that for a few days, then squeeze the goodies out? (cliff notes version)
Yep. If they stay on the skins for about 5 days, your wine will end up a blush/rose' color. If you remove the skins sooner, you'll get a whiter/pink wine.

I'd check the OG, and if it's 1.020-1.010 it's time to press. I press much like you're going to- squeezing the bejebus out of a mesh bag. Sanitize your hands and just do it!

Quick Reply