Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > I need some help getting to next step.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2011, 04:12 AM   #1
scottmd06
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default I need some help getting to next step.

I have a three gallon batch of Apple juice concentrate wine with rehydrated grapes, and orange peel. I'm six weeks in, everything but the floating grapes are cleared. Started with nothing but the basic ingredients so I'm not sure what to add at this point or where to rack to. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2011, 06:33 AM   #2
Stuntman
Alcohol to Urine 37+ yrs. Not any longer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Here is a cranberry wine recipe, you are almost done.

Procedure:
1. Wash the cranberries in lukewarm water and place in the primary fermenter. Add the remainder of the ingredients EXCEPT the wine yeast to the primary fermenter. Stir well to dissolve.
2. Allow to cool to 70 - 75° F. Add the wine yeast. Cover with lid or plastic sheet and tie down.
3. Allow to ferment 5 - 7 days. Stir daily to break up the pulp cap. Strain out the pulp and squeeze to extract all the juice. Discard pulp. Syphon into sterilized secondary fermenter and attach fermentation lock.
4. After 3 weeks, syphon into another sterilized jug and attach fermentation lock. Always fill the jug as full as possible (within an inch or so from the rubber stopper). Syphon again in about 1 month.
5. When wine is clear and stable, it may be bottled. The addition of 1/2 tsp. potassium sorbate stabilizer is recommended. If a sweeter wine is desired, add simple syrup to taste (2 parts fructose or sugar to 1 part boiling water).6. Bottle and cork and lay on its side to age at least 4-6 months.

Emphasis on drank, sober since August 28 2011

Old 04-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
scottmd06
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Maybe I should have been more specific. I'm through the whole fermenting and clearing process, I just needed to know about the sorbate and stabilizing process. Ive read that I have to de-gas the wine (not sure how that is done either).

(and why age on it's side?)

Old 04-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 26

you degas the wine to release any CO2 that is in it. basically you stir the crap out of it until bubbles stop coming out, BUT you gotta do this without splashing it...potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulphite should be added before bottling if you are gonna back sweeten it at all. Just follow label directions. You store it on its side in bottles to keep the cork from drying out.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 04-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4462 Times on 3248 Posts
Likes Given: 868

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE View Post
you degas the wine to release any CO2 that is in it. basically you stir the crap out of it until bubbles stop coming out, BUT you gotta do this without splashing it...potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulphite should be added before bottling if you are gonna back sweeten it at all. Just follow label directions. You store it on its side in bottles to keep the cork from drying out.
Yes, but....................

Time works better to degas wine than any mechanical means. What that means is racking the wine when needed, and let it sit under airlock until completely clear. When NO more lees fall after at least 60 days, then you can consider bottling.

If you've still got grapes and stuff in there, it's time to rack the wine, top up to within an inch of the bung and let it sit for 60 days. Rack if there are lees 1/4" thick or more. Wait 60 days. Rack if there are lees at that time. Do that until you're not dropping lees at all after at least 60 days. Make sure you keep it topped up at all times, adding a similar wine or water to it to make sure it doesn't oxidize. Also, one crushed campden tablet per gallon dissolved in 1/4 cup water should be used at every other racking to help prevent oxidation.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmd06 View Post
Maybe I should have been more specific. I'm through the whole fermenting and clearing process, I just needed to know about the sorbate and stabilizing process. Ive read that I have to de-gas the wine (not sure how that is done either).

(and why age on it's side?)
I hate to be argumentative, but if you've still got grapes and stuff in there, you're about a year from the "whole fermenting and clearing process"!

Old 04-03-2011, 10:13 AM   #7
scottmd06
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

the 'grapes' were raisins i entered into the fermenter at the beginning of the process that rehydrated in the apple juice cocktail. so after 6 weeks from the start i have a home made plastic fermenting bucket of apple juice cocktail with a cup worth of floating 'grapes/raisins' with no more visual signs of krausen. i originally wanted this to be similar to ANCIENT ORANGE, but added 1/2oz orange peel and the raisins just before pitching the yeast. the orange peel cleared out and i thought maybe i should rack to a secondary at this point?

Old 04-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #8
DrJerryrigger
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
the 'grapes' were raisins i entered into the fermenter at the beginning of the process that rehydrated in the apple juice cocktail. so after 6 weeks from the start i have a home made plastic fermenting bucket of apple juice cocktail with a cup worth of floating 'grapes/raisins' with no more visual signs of krausen. i originally wanted this to be similar to ANCIENT ORANGE, but added 1/2oz orange peel and the raisins just before pitching the yeast. the orange peel cleared out and i thought maybe i should rack to a secondary at this point?
Yes, you should rack at this point. Leave it in the secondary for 60 to 90 days, then rack, and repeat until stuff stops falling out.

making (C6H10O5)n- into C12H22O11 and then into C2H5OH, and then getting drunk

Old 04-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #9
scottmd06
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

do i need to rack from the plastic bucket its in, into a glass carboy and leaving no room at the top and attach a stopper and airlock?

Old 04-03-2011, 08:59 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
do i need to rack from the plastic bucket its in, into a glass carboy and leaving no room at the top and attach a stopper and airlock?
Yes. That's the definition of a "secondary" in winemaking.

Quick Reply