The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > I must be loosen my mine, up in here, up in here

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 03:35 AM   #1
kiwi74
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I must be loosen my mine, up in here, up in here

Could anyone remind me on how to sweeten coffee wine on the second rack? I made about 3 1/2 gal of pure black coffee wine and I just tasted it on the first rack and it was Horrible!!!!! I added 1/2 cup sugar to about 1 gal boiling water to my must that was about 1.04 for 3 gal. Should I added more sugar on the second rack again or iz this the way that coffee wine iz until it ages in their bottles for awhile and sweetens up?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4196 Times on 3055 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi74 View Post
Could anyone remind me on how to sweeten coffee wine on the second rack? I made about 3 1/2 gal of pure black coffee wine and I just tasted it on the first rack and it was Horrible!!!!! I added 1/2 cup sugar to about 1 gal boiling water to my must that was about 1.04 for 3 gal. Should I added more sugar on the second rack again or iz this the way that coffee wine iz until it ages in their bottles for awhile and sweetens up?
I'd wait until it's completely done, and then stabilize it before sweetening. Just adding sugar now means the sugar would ferment out and leave a higher alcohol wine, with no sweetness.

Some winemakers do incremental feeding, to eventually overcome the yeast and end up with a sweet wine, but it generally makes sweet rocket fuel that takes years to age out.

Once it's done, completely clear, and no longer dropping any lees at all after at least 60 days, it can be stabilized by racking onto campden and sorbate, and then sweetened to taste 3 days later.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply