New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > I just bottled my first concord wine and gulped down some...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2008, 05:01 AM   #1
estefano
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I just bottled my first concord wine and gulped down some...

This stuff is good. It remind me of kir, a cocktail we make on Christmas eve here. It has a its blackcurrant tang. From what I read, I had the impression this would finish an ok table wine, wrong AFAIC. I love it. It has a lot of body too. Can't wait to open a bottle in a few months.

Just though I'd share my enthusiasm

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2008, 05:48 AM   #2
thataintchicken
The good ideas will survive.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1249 Times on 1241 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by estefano View Post
From what I read, I had the impression this would finish an ok table wine, wrong AFAIC. I love it. It has a lot of body too. Can't wait to open a bottle in a few months.

Just though I'd share my enthusiasm
Welcome!
Was this from a kit?

Enthusiasm is good. I think more beer brewers should make wine.
I've only done one grape wine this year. A Syrah.
Everything else has been Mead.

I have a similar enthusiasm about this year's Syrah. It will be epic after it ages for a few more months.

Ginger, how long should I boil these crab legs for? I want them to fall off the bone just like Texas pork ribs. - Ace Club

I'm a meat hunter. - AZ_IPA

Old 12-11-2008, 07:36 AM   #3
estefano
Recipes 

Hi, thanks for the welcome, hope your syrah turn great

I picked the grapes ~3 months ago. It's the first time I make grape wine from the fruit, I've used concentrates/juices before. The hardest part was the picking, it's a huge vine twisted around a semi-dead cedar and a tall fence. What a nightmare, I don't recommend that to anyone uncomfortable on a ladder. It was fruitful though. I hand-pressed in a bucket with an empty wine bottle and separated the must in a paint strainer soaking in the juice. It took the whole day, producing a little less than 30L of juice with must that I immediately pitched with K1V-1116, no sulfite (sorry, elitists). I gently strained after 5 days, racked in secondary when the fermentation was slowing down (again, no sulfite), and bottled yesterday. It was flat and clear, as far as a dark wine can be anyway. Ended up with 18x 1L bottles. Calculated abv. is 8.26%, I did not add sugar, no regret there, it's palatable already.

I'll open one in the spring, on a warn evening, after working in the garden

Quick Reply