Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > I have fresh figs starting to ferment: wine?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
Hovik
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default I have fresh figs starting to ferment: wine?

Hi HBT,
I have access to a couple of very productive fig trees at the moment and cannot eat the fresh figs fast enough. As a result I am getting a steady flow of fresh figs that are beginning to ferment on their own. Rather than throw them in the compost I was hoping someone here might have some ideas on how I can make a batch of fig wine or mead.

The main problem (as I see it) is that they aren't all starting to ferment at the same time. I am picking from the tree every 2-3 days and some of them are already fermenting on the tree and some are fermenting a day or two after harvesting in my refrigerator. I was thinking maybe I should throw the ones that are fermenting right in the freezer until I am done harvesting for the year and THEN take them out and proceed to make the wine, or is there another way?

Any help and direction on this (and maybe even some recipe ideas) would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hovik

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2013, 01:14 AM   #2
shelly_belly
Got My Mojo Workin'
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I put them in the freezer until they quit producing. Search this site as there are several recipes:
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

Old 08-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
Honda88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 54

yep either freeze them or immediately make wine out of them..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply