Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > How much sugar for 18%ABV?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2013, 12:21 AM   #11
T_Baggins
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 269

First of all, I'm using any real information for application to my wine.

Second, what is forbidden about discussing amounts of sugar and the possible ABV? We are NOT discussing the "D" word.

Third, if your only getting 6.7 from 2 lbs/gal, YOU SERIOUSLY NEED SOME NEW SUGAR! The amount of natural sugars in the cider I get net more than that without adding any. I added 1lb/gal to a 5 gal batch of cider and it yielded 11%
according to the hydrometer AND the vinometer.

Fourth, we talking about adding X amount of sugar to Y amount of water/must to equal 1 gallon.

I have a few cans of various concentrates to toy with. I only have EC-118 right now. To use it up, I want to make 2 diff batches, 1 gal each. I want to push the yeast to it's limit without making a sweet wine or wasting sugar/other ingredients.

To be honest, I'm not in the game for award winning wine. I'm in it to get smashed. I don't care for snooty wine tasting connoisseur type activities, I like to get hammered.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 12:50 AM   #12
Tnoodle
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts

If your in it to get hammered, just get some Turbo yeast and 5lbs of sugar. You can get that stuff up to 24% ABV.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:53 AM   #13
T_Baggins
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnoodle View Post
If your in it to get hammered, just get some Turbo yeast and 5lbs of sugar. You can get that stuff up to 24% ABV.
Really? I did not know that... You got my attention now!

Old 04-13-2013, 03:43 AM   #14
T_Baggins
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
There is a bit difference here....sugar takes up space, are we talking sugar in one gallon or sugar to one gallon? 3 pounds 11oz added to the gallon should yeild 18.
I started a batch of apple/cherry concentrate the other night. I used 2 lbs to equal 1 gallon. Tonight, before pitch the yeast, I added another lb. I set my jug in the sink and funneled it in, letting extra volume spill over. Took another reading. OG is now 1.5 which equals 18% on the potential alc. scale.
Hopefully it won't stall. I'm using EC-1118, so it should handle it, and is good for re starting stalled ferments. I suppose I should add a little more nutrient after it bubbles for a few days?

Old 04-13-2013, 04:06 AM   #15
Inner10
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Baggins View Post

I started a batch of apple/cherry concentrate the other night. I used 2 lbs to equal 1 gallon. Tonight, before pitch the yeast, I added another lb. I set my jug in the sink and funneled it in, letting extra volume spill over. Took another reading. OG is now 1.5 which equals 18% on the potential alc. scale.
Hopefully it won't stall. I'm using EC-1118, so it should handle it, and is good for re starting stalled ferments. I suppose I should add a little more nutrient after it bubbles for a few days?
Yep, a second nutrient feeding after about 1/3 drop in sugar is a good idea. If you really want to top out yeast feed it in stages.

Drank too much?...Is that a thing?

T_Baggins Likes This 

Quick Reply