Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > How much difference will this make on the OG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2009, 04:06 AM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default How much difference will this make on the OG

I mixed up must tonight for some banana wine....Making a gallon for a friend will get me a few free carboys I think
Anyway I mixed it up loosely following a recipe that yooperbrew had posted on here a couple years back ( google search) I put 4.5 ( I think her recipe called for 3.5) punds of sliced bananas in a grain bag and brought em to a boil in 3 quarts of water....simmered em for 30 minutes then poured the water over 2.5 pounds of granulated sugar... stirred until the sugar was dissolved then added pectic enzyme and acid blend. I was SUPPOSED to take a hydrometer reading at this time ( cooled down to about 75 degrees ) BUT I forgot to and added the yeast that I had activated in sugar water and banana mush. THEN I remembered the hydrometer and pulled out a sample and got an OG of 1.120.....how much did the yeast effect the reading if at all?

BALDGUT BREWS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2009, 04:40 AM   #2
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

oh yeah.. I added water to make this 1 gallon before stirring it very well and taking the reading.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 10-10-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

anyone? bueller....bueller

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 10-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Quote:
how much did the yeast effect the reading if at all?

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-10-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
thanks...got it a bit high i reckon....
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 10-10-2009, 08:29 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4450 Times on 3239 Posts
Likes Given: 866

You could add water, to get a more reasonable OG reading if you want. Otherwise, at 1.120, you'll have a 17% ABV banana rocket fuel (depending on the yeast). I'd add 1/2 gallon of water since you added more bananas, and then when you rack to the one gallon carboy, just keep the extra in an airlocked bottle to use to top up the racking losses.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:00 AM   #7
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
You could add water, to get a more reasonable OG reading if you want. Otherwise, at 1.120, you'll have a 17% ABV banana rocket fuel (depending on the yeast). I'd add 1/2 gallon of water since you added more bananas, and then when you rack to the one gallon carboy, just keep the extra in an airlocked bottle to use to top up the racking losses.
will do .........montrachet yeast
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 10-12-2009, 07:00 AM   #8
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Yooper, how much will the half gallon of water affect the OG? This stuff SMELLS like it is fermenting but it has zero foam even though I had a good foaming yeast before I pitched it. It looks every bit like dirty dish water. I want to check the SG in a few days but now have no clue where I started at with the addition of the extra water.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 10-12-2009, 12:20 PM   #9
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

With an OG that high the yeast are most likely in shock from going from an estimated OG of 1.040 to 1.120.
Let me ask you how would you feel if you to do a free dive from sea level to 100 ft and told to go to work.
I would most likely die, but they will adapt, but you will have a slow start.
I think Yooper was concerned with how the final product would taste and I agree an ABV like that would take a long time to be drinkable. Think kerosene mixed with rocket fuel.
I'm taking a wild guess and thinking adding 1/3 more water will bring the SG down by 1/3. So it would adjust your SG to 1.080 or so. If fermented out to 1.000 would still get you well north of 10% ABV and the banana flavour should start showing through.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:35 AM   #10
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Added the 1/2 gallon of water...still looks like dirty dish water...smells like alcohol

BALDGUT BREWS

Quick Reply