New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > How to measure IG with floating fruit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 02:08 AM   #1
chelleomi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How to measure IG with floating fruit?

First time fruit wine maker!

I recently started some cantaloupe wine by melonballing the cantaloupe instead of pressing it for juice. Topped it off with water and added sugar. Is there any way to measure the initial gravity with the chunks of fruit in there? I read that people let the fruit sit overnight before adding the yeast, is that to extract the sugar and get a more accurate reading, or is something degassing?

Primary: Thai Chili Ale; Country Cantaloupe Wine
Secondary: Lavender Lemon Wild Mead

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 02:35 AM   #2
novalou
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelleomi
First time fruit wine maker!

I recently started some cantaloupe wine by melonballing the cantaloupe instead of pressing it for juice. Topped it off with water and added sugar. Is there any way to measure the initial gravity with the chunks of fruit in there? I read that people let the fruit sit overnight before adding the yeast, is that to extract the sugar and get a more accurate reading, or is something degassing?
I use a nylon bag to store my fruit, this keeps the pulp contained and makes juicing easier.

When you mix the ingredients, it should include the Camden tablets or metabisulfite. This allows the sulfite to have the night to inhibit the wild yeast before you add the cultured yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply