Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > How to make muscadine wine sweeter?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012, 01:56 AM   #1
Bnew17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Middle, Ga
Posts: 49
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How to make muscadine wine sweeter?

I just finished my first 2 gallon batch of muscadine wine. I used a natural yeast method and the wine came out real good...just wish it was a tad sweeter. Is there anyway to make the wine sweeter before I bottle it? Or is there anything I could do in the beginning to make it sweeter in the end? Thanks

__________________
Bnew17 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
Bnew17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Middle, Ga
Posts: 49
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Ive read about adding potassium sorbate. Can someone give some thoughts on this. Thanks

__________________
Bnew17 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 12:43 AM   #3
novalou
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 599
Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnew17
I just finished my first 2 gallon batch of muscadine wine. I used a natural yeast method and the wine came out real good...just wish it was a tad sweeter. Is there anyway to make the wine sweeter before I bottle it? Or is there anything I could do in the beginning to make it sweeter in the end? Thanks
Add 1tsp potassium sorbate, 1/8tsp potassium metabisulfite. You can then add a solution of 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water. Add this sweetened solution to your wine until it is sweet enough for your taste.
__________________
novalou is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 01:16 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,580
Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Default

Sure, you can sweeten the wine! When it's completely done, completely clear, and no longer throwing any lees at all after 60 days, then it's ready to stabilize and sweeten.

Once you have the wine ready, just rack it into a new carboy where you've already added 1 crushed campden tablet per gallon and 1/2 teaspoon potassium sorbate per gallon, dissolved in a little boiling water. I boil 1/4 cup of water in a microwave, then add the campden tablets and sorbate. Stir well, as it doesn't want to dissolve, and then pour that into the receiving carboy. Rack the wine into it, and let it sit three days (or longer- no rush).

After at least three days, sweeten the wine to taste. Use whatever you want- sugar, honey, grape juice, etc. The easiest way to do this is to pull out a sample of the wine and add your sweetener to taste. Do a couple of different samples, to see which you like best. When you find one you like, take the SG of that sample. Then, sweeten the whole batch just a tad bit under that Sg. For example, if you love it at 1.010, sweeten the batch to 1.008 as it gets sweeter tasting in the bottle.

You can dissolve sugar in some boiling water to make it easier to mix it with the wine.

Wait at least three days, with the airlock on, to make sure fermentation doesn't restart and the wine stays clear. Then you can bottle.

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
Bnew17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Middle, Ga
Posts: 49
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Sure, you can sweeten the wine! When it's completely done, completely clear, and no longer throwing any lees at all after 60 days, then it's ready to stabilize and sweeten.

Once you have the wine ready, just rack it into a new carboy where you've already added 1 crushed campden tablet per gallon and 1/2 teaspoon potassium sorbate per gallon, dissolved in a little boiling water. I boil 1/4 cup of water in a microwave, then add the campden tablets and sorbate. Stir well, as it doesn't want to dissolve, and then pour that into the receiving carboy. Rack the wine into it, and let it sit three days (or longer- no rush).

After at least three days, sweeten the wine to taste. Use whatever you want- sugar, honey, grape juice, etc. The easiest way to do this is to pull out a sample of the wine and add your sweetener to taste. Do a couple of different samples, to see which you like best. When you find one you like, take the SG of that sample. Then, sweeten the whole batch just a tad bit under that Sg. For example, if you love it at 1.010, sweeten the batch to 1.008 as it gets sweeter tasting in the bottle.

You can dissolve sugar in some boiling water to make it easier to mix it with the wine.

Wait at least three days, with the airlock on, to make sure fermentation doesn't restart and the wine stays clear. Then you can bottle.
Thanks alot for the information so far everyone. I have the potassium sorbate and campden tablets on the way.

Yooper, i am a newbie at this so excuse me if this is a silly question. I was planning on adding sugar but i like the idea of adding grape juice. But im just wondering if you added grape juice , im assuming Welchs? , how would that grape j uice keep over time and not spoil if bottled with the wine?
__________________
Bnew17 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2012, 12:43 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,580
Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnew17 View Post
Thanks alot for the information so far everyone. I have the potassium sorbate and campden tablets on the way.

Yooper, i am a newbie at this so excuse me if this is a silly question. I was planning on adding sugar but i like the idea of adding grape juice. But im just wondering if you added grape juice , im assuming Welchs? , how would that grape j uice keep over time and not spoil if bottled with the wine?
The wine is a preservative on it's own, and the sorbate is a preservative as well.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
kc_in_wv
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Princeton, West Virginia
Posts: 228
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Yopper, that is great advice on sweetning wine. I think it needs to be saved in the recipes or some where.

__________________

What I smoke has a sting to it.

kc_in_wv is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
Bnew17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Middle, Ga
Posts: 49
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Sure, you can sweeten the wine! When it's completely done, completely clear, and no longer throwing any lees at all after 60 days, then it's ready to stabilize and sweeten.

Once you have the wine ready, just rack it into a new carboy where you've already added 1 crushed campden tablet per gallon and 1/2 teaspoon potassium sorbate per gallon, dissolved in a little boiling water. I boil 1/4 cup of water in a microwave, then add the campden tablets and sorbate. Stir well, as it doesn't want to dissolve, and then pour that into the receiving carboy. Rack the wine into it, and let it sit three days (or longer- no rush).

After at least three days, sweeten the wine to taste. Use whatever you want- sugar, honey, grape juice, etc. The easiest way to do this is to pull out a sample of the wine and add your sweetener to taste. Do a couple of different samples, to see which you like best. When you find one you like, take the SG of that sample. Then, sweeten the whole batch just a tad bit under that Sg. For example, if you love it at 1.010, sweeten the batch to 1.008 as it gets sweeter tasting in the bottle.

You can dissolve sugar in some boiling water to make it easier to mix it with the wine.

Wait at least three days, with the airlock on, to make sure fermentation doesn't restart and the wine stays clear. Then you can bottle.
Yooper,,,what do you mean "not throwing lees" ?

im still learning all the terms. Thanks
__________________
Bnew17 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,580
Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnew17 View Post
Yooper,,,what do you mean "not throwing lees" ?

im still learning all the terms. Thanks
As long as it's dropping sediment (lees), it means it's not ready to be stabilized yet. Once it is in a fermenter for at least 60 days, and not dropping any more lees, then it can be stabilized and packaged. If there are ANY lees at all, even slight, after 60 days, it's not ready.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
muscadine wine outdoorsmadness Wine Making Forum 3 09-15-2011 01:57 PM
Muscadine Wine- How much does aging change wine? maddprofessor Wine Making Forum 11 11-26-2010 06:37 PM
muscadine wine Medicaldawg Wine Making Forum 3 09-20-2010 09:38 PM
Muscadine Wine Rhino Wine Making Forum 18 03-12-2009 02:44 AM
Sweeter wine/cider brianmp Wine Making Forum 8 12-26-2008 04:19 PM