Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > How long does Edwort's Apfelwine take to ferment?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 12:06 AM   #1
strantor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default How long does Edwort's Apfelwine take to ferment?

I'm sure this has been answered more than once in the last 1076 pages of the epic Apfelwine thread, but I don't I'm not feeling up to reading all of it. Also I made my own thread because I don't want my question to be quickly buried 8 pages deep with no answer.

Anyway, How long does this stuff take to ferment? I thought I read 1 month there, but it's only been 5 days and seems to be nearly done. It was bubbling furiously. actually caused my starsan/water airlock fluid to bubble out of the airlock twice and I had to replenish it. now I'm getting maybe 1 bubble per minute. Is something wrong?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 12:51 AM   #2
DirtyOldDuck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

What kind of yeast did you use? If you used Montrachet and fermented it at 65F or so it shouldn't ferment "furiously" - just a little ring of small bubbles at the neck of the carboy. Days 3 - 5 smell like "rhino farts," but this passes. (Pun intended.) It takes about a month to ferment and then to clear. Wait as long as you can to bottle.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:18 AM   #3
strantor
Recipes 

it is in the pantry, ~70deg F. I used montrachet. I never smelled the rhino farts.

If I fermented too warm (assuming 70 is too warm) and it fermented super fast, does that mean it's probably done?

Old 02-12-2013, 01:24 AM   #4
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 733 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 51

A couple weeks to ferment, a couple months to get good, and a year to become AWESOME!

Seriously, it's hard to wait, but it's easier if you make two batches. One to sample and taste and drink now-ish, and another to drink next February.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:30 AM   #5
strantor
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
A couple weeks to ferment, a couple months to get good, and a year to become AWESOME!

Seriously, it's hard to wait, but it's easier if you make two batches. One to sample and taste and drink now-ish, and another to drink next February.
Yes I'm starting another one just for this reason. I'm impatient.

I already have the juice. I am reluctant to throw it in the fermenter though, suspecting I did something wrong the first time and not wanting to repeat my mistake.

I should have made the title of this thread: "Edwort's Apfelwine - stopped bubbling after 5 days - is something wrong?" What I'm really looking for here is some reassurance, or possible explanation for the drop off in fermenter action.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:14 AM   #6
wburns
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Not sure what to tell you, just throwing this out there, mine is 8 days in and still bubbling every 2-3 seconds, took about 2 days to really get going. Using the red star montrachet

Will

Carboy #1 - Edwort's Apfelwein
Carboy #2 - Edwort's with a twist
Currently bottled - blackberry and strawberry

Old 02-12-2013, 02:20 AM   #7
strantor
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburns View Post
Not sure what to tell you, just throwing this out there, mine is 8 days in and still bubbling every 2-3 seconds, took about 2 days to really get going. Using the red star montrachet

Will
I used red star montrachet as well. Mine was "really going" after 6 hours. after 12 hours, it was blowing all the star san water out of the air lock.

I rehydrated the yeast in lukewarm sugarwater for ~15min before pitching, but I always do that.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:42 AM   #8
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 372 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Mine is still bubbling slightly after a month. It smells really nice. Sooo hard to wait months to try it, but everyone says it's worth it.

Quick Reply