Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > How long do Blackberries have to macerate?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
Brewkowski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default How long do Blackberries have to macerate?

I'm doing a Blackberry wine and after I had to add some sugar to bring the gravity up, the cap is basically at the top of my 6 gal brew bucket and I'm scared to leave it alone. The airlock hole keeps getting clogged with fruit bits, so a blow off tube won't help. I've put a sanitized t-shirt over the top of the bucket and wrapped it with a bungie cord. The temperature dropped last night so fermentation slowed down, but I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before the fruit cap starts pressing against the shirt and then I'm worried about fruit flies (I saw some on the counter around the bananas).

So my question is, Can I pull the berries out without taking away too much from the wine (It's only been 3 days)? I have about 20lbs of fruit so I'm thinking if I take it out then I'll have alot more space in the bucket. I was going for a sort of blush wine anyway but I don't want the flavor to be too weak.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.”

Charles Bukowski

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 01:38 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4359 Times on 3169 Posts
Likes Given: 848

Here's the recipe I use: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f79/blackberry-wine-31294/

I normally let my fruit sit in there for 5 days or so.

Edit- stir the damn wine!!!!! Stir down the cap before it dries out, especially.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:52 AM   #3
Brewkowski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Thanks Yooper. Yeah I have been stirring a few times per day, I think it's just a case of I put too much stuff in the bucket. I got home tonight and it was bulging the shirt so I scooped about 2 quarts of the fruit out. I still felt lots of fruit floating around so I'm guessing I didn't take too much out. It was a white t-shirt and I think I might save it, it made the coolest tie dye pattern on it I put the bucket lid back on it with the airlock so I'll just keep an eye on it.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.”

Charles Bukowski

Quick Reply