Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > How do I Safely Bottle Young Wine ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013, 04:22 AM   #11
novalou
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10

The one time I made that mistake the corks just pushed out...what a freaking mess that was.
I had two bottles pop corks last year. I'm still finding sticky wine stains...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #12
kevinstan
Recipes 

So if I were to do this 100% right - I would add wine stabilizer, then check the FG for 3 days in a row to make sure it is the same, then bottle. Is this correct ? The wine fermented in secondary for a little over 2 months now. I already back sweetened like I always do after 30 days. It appears to be done but with the added concentrate to sweeten I am sure the FG is probably around the 1.015 mark. If I check the FG and it is the exact same for a few days after adding stabilizer is it ok to bottle and cork ? It is sitting at room temp around 65 degrees right now. I am afraid that when it starts to warm up more it may start fermenting again. I am being a little paranoid but I dont want bombs. But I do want to bottle. Thank you everyone for the help and info so far. Also I forgot to mention. It's been racked twice and is no longer dropping any sediment. (Past few weeks). I would be racking it one more time over the wine stabilizer before bottling.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4918 Times on 3567 Posts
Likes Given: 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinstan View Post
So if I were to do this 100% right - I would add wine stabilizer, then check the FG for 3 days in a row to make sure it is the same, then bottle. Is this correct ? The wine fermented in secondary for a little over 2 months now. I already back sweetened like I always do after 30 days. It appears to be done but with the added concentrate to sweeten I am sure the FG is probably around the 1.015 mark. If I check the FG and it is the exact same for a few days after adding stabilizer is it ok to bottle and cork ? It is sitting at room temp around 65 degrees right now. I am afraid that when it starts to warm up more it may start fermenting again. I am being a little paranoid but I dont want bombs. But I do want to bottle. Thank you everyone for the help and info so far. Also I forgot to mention. It's been racked twice and is no longer dropping any sediment. (Past few weeks). I would be racking it one more time over the wine stabilizer before bottling.
No, not exactly.

Wait until the FG is stable for at least three days, and the wine is clear. Then add stabilizers, and then sweeten.

If you've already sweetened, that sugar should ferment out, but if it's at 1.015 that means you've got over about 18% ABV depending on which wine yeast strain you used. That's a very high FG, and normally people don't push the yeast so far first. If it's true that it's been at 1.015 for a couple of mines, then it might not ferment any more.

It's really hard to do this- sweeten, but then stabilize, as you really don't know for sure when it's done.

For next time, I'd definitely let the wine finish, then stabilize and then sweeten. Then you absolutely know when it's done, and when it's safe to bottle.

At 1.015, but not stabilized, it's hard to say if it's done or "stuck".

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Quick Reply