Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > How do I Safely Bottle Young Wine ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
kevinstan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How do I Safely Bottle Young Wine ?

I usually make wines from frozen concentrates to drink young. I have 6 one gallon batches that just finished and it is more than I can drink at one time. I have a corker and want to bottle some of this, but I don't want bottle bombs or any suprise explosions. I have heard to use campden tablets at 1 per gallon, and then I have heard to use several other things like wine stabilizer, or conditioner. Can someone tell me how I can safely make this young 2 month old wine ok to bottle up ? I don't want it to restart fermentation and blow any corks. I read so many different things I figured I would ask here for some straight answers. Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 12:10 AM   #2
Inner10
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Check your gravity, if it's completely fermented I wouldn't worry. If you want to back sweeten with sugar you will have to use campden and sorbate to kill off the yeast. If you plan on storing it a couple years I would add campden tablets. If you are going to drink it right away then just bottle it.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:28 AM   #3
kevinstan
Recipes 

It is close to finished, but not fully. I do need to take some sort of precaution to not make bombs. It will be consumed within 3 to 6 months but I want to cork it. These are all one gallon batches. Are you suggesting 1 campden tab per gallon and that's it ? Please specify.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:04 AM   #4
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinstan View Post
It is close to finished, but not fully. I do need to take some sort of precaution to not make bombs. It will be consumed within 3 to 6 months but I want to cork it. These are all one gallon batches. Are you suggesting 1 campden tab per gallon and that's it ? Please specify.
So, the phase you speak of is called stabilizing.

If you have no plan to backsweeten this once it is dry and fully degassed then you only need to add one Campden(use the potassium based ones, not sodium) tab dissolved in a bit of water per gallon. You can even dissolve the Campden in a bit of your wine. Just make sure it is dissolved fully.
If you plan to backsweeten by using a fermentable sugar of some sort, after the wine is dry and fully degassed, then you add one Campden tab per gallon along with 1/2 teaspoon potassium sorbate per gallon.
BUT, you want to make sure your wine is clear, no longer dropping sediment after it is clear/did what you hope was the last racking and fully degassed before you bottle. If you do not do these very important steps you will have sediment in your bottles and the gassy wine may cause corks to pop, or the wine can even be slightly fizzy. This is why you will rarely find people bottling at such an early stage, the wine still needs to clear and dega

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 02-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
Inner10
Recipes 

Quote:
If fermentation is incomplete you either have to wait for it to finish then clear, or hit it with a campden tab and sorbate to kill the yeast. Do you want to keep the residual sugar for added sweetness or are you just being impatient?

Old 02-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
loren601
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc

So, the phase you speak of is called stabilizing.

If you have no plan to backsweeten this once it is dry and fully degassed then you only need to add one Campden(use the potassium based ones, not sodium) tab dissolved in a bit of water per gallon. You can even dissolve the Campden in a bit of your wine. Just make sure it is dissolved fully.
If you plan to backsweeten by using a fermentable sugar of some sort, after the wine is dry and fully degassed, then you add one Campden tab per gallon along with 1/2 teaspoon potassium sorbate per gallon.
BUT, you want to make sure your wine is clear, no longer dropping sediment after it is clear/did what you hope was the last racking and fully degassed before you bottle. If you do not do these very important steps you will have sediment in your bottles and the gassy wine may cause corks to pop, or the wine can even be slightly fizzy. This is why you will rarely find people bottling at such an early stage, the wine still needs to clear and dega
Good post

Old 02-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #7
kevinstan
Recipes 

Inner10:

I am being somewhat impatient. The frozen concentrate wines I make in 1 gallon batches usually clear and taste best with some residual sugar after about 2 months. I want to bottle some but don't want bottles exploding or corks going through the ceiling. With my larger batches I use wine stabilizer and check FG for a few days in a row to make sure it's done, but that's also after about 6 months. But for these quick 1 gallons I am scared to make bombs. I want to safely cork and preserve some though. Just not sure the best way how.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
kevinstan
Recipes 

I am going to bottle this weekend. Should I use both the campden tab and wine stabilizer both ? And will they alter the flavor of my wine at all ? Also, can I add them at the same time if I use both ?

Old 02-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4626 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 908

Quote:
I am going to bottle this weekend. Should I use both the campden tab and wine stabilizer both ? And will they alter the flavor of my wine at all ? Also, can I add them at the same time if I use both ?
If the wine isn't done, you WILL have bottle bombs. Campden and wine conditioner won't stop an active fermentation. Sorbate will prevent yeast reproduction, but since there is plenty of yeast in an active fermentation, it will do nothing. Wine conditioner has both sorbate and campden (sulfite) in it so you don't need both at the same time. And yes, it has a distinct flavor.

If you're going to bottle, you really should make sure (via a hydrometer) that fermentation is finished. Bottle bombs are serious. If you're lucky, the corks will just pop out before the bottles explode. But if you're not, someone could really get hurt.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:42 AM   #10
Inner10
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post

If the wine isn't done, you WILL have bottle bombs. Campden and wine conditioner won't stop an active fermentation. Sorbate will prevent yeast reproduction, but since there is plenty of yeast in an active fermentation, it will do nothing. Wine conditioner has both sorbate and campden (sulfite) in it so you don't need both at the same time. And yes, it has a distinct flavor.

If you're going to bottle, you really should make sure (via a hydrometer) that fermentation is finished. Bottle bombs are serious. If you're lucky, the corks will just pop out before the bottles explode. But if you're not, someone could really get hurt.
The one time I made that mistake the corks just pushed out...what a freaking mess that was.

Drank too much?...Is that a thing?

Quick Reply