Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > How can I fill up space in my charboy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2010, 05:05 AM   #1
joeboxer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How can I fill up space in my charboy?

I just finished fermenting my first batch of wine using one case of grapes and when I transfered it to my charboy, I found that the wine only takes up 2 to 2.5 gallons of my 3 gallon BetterBottle charboy. How can I fill up the rest of the volume so that I don't have to worry about it oxidizing?

I heard that it's possible to blow up a balloon or something inside the charboy to take up space - does anybody have any experience with that? The other solution I heard is to put in those glass pebbles that they make for vases and fish tanks, since glass won't leach. The problem is I'm going to need a lot of these pebbles because while they are heavy, they don't take up a lot of space.

Finally, someone suggested a simple ziplock bag filled with either quarters or water and sealed really well (maybe even double bagged). That seems like a great idea but my concern is whether the plastic will leach into the wine. According to what I can find on the internet, ziplock bags are made out of LDPE plastic (#4), which is a safe plastic. Some brands might even use PETE plastic (#1), which is the same stuff the BetterBottle charboy is made of.

Any recommendations? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2010, 05:31 AM   #2
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6330 Times on 5486 Posts
Likes Given: 851

Maybe pick up a couple of gallon jugs and rack into those, drinking/discarding any left overs?

Past that, other than what you've already suggested, I've heard of folks sanitizing glass marbles.

Next time, try to take into account your loss once you get rid of the fruit.

You could always primary in a ~5-6.5 gallon bucket and then rack into your 3-gallon carboy when you're ready to get it off the fruit.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:00 AM   #3
JewBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When I worked at a winery for a short while we had lower quality wine that was reserved for topping off, but it would not impact the flavor as it would be in such a small ratio in comparison to an entire barrel. What you could do is buy a decent wine and use that to top off.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
bja
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts

Purge it with co2.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:47 PM   #5
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

foodsafe marbles to displace it. or a CO2 blanket. or just don't worry about it...k-meta is going to help prevent oxidation anyhow.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 10-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #6
223coyote
Recipes 

what is oxidation ? will it ruin the wine?
yote

Old 10-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4929 Times on 3574 Posts
Likes Given: 994

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223coyote View Post
what is oxidation ? will it ruin the wine?
yote
Oxidation is when air (oxygen) contacts wine after fermentation has begun. Yes, it will ruin the wine.

Oxidized wine and cider can turn a bit brownish, and have a funny sherry-like flavor. It's also called "madierizing" since madiera has that same flavor.

Winemakers top up the carboy to near the very top as to minimize any headspace to prevent the oxygen interacting with the wine.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 10-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
joeboxer
Recipes 

Is there anything wrong with keeping the wine in multiple smaller containers? Let's say multiple 2 or 3 liter bottles. They are PET #1, same plastic as the BetterBottle bottles, and they seal really well when you close the cap. (Unless the problem is they seal TOO well, and they don't let the CO2 out like an airlock does, which could cause them to explode if left for too long without releasing the CO2?)

Old 10-18-2010, 02:01 PM   #9
Rossnaree
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

http://www.eckraus.com/RL125.html

Not necessarily a recommendation, and there are several other types and sizes both at that company as well as many other companies, but it beats not having any alternative method available to you.

Some knowledge will never be shared, not from a desire to conceal it, but because it is so common to the individual that it is assumed to be already known.

Primary: Chardonel
Secondary: Apfelwein, Chambourcin, Blackstone Pond American Ale, King of the North, Concord, 2nd wine from pulp of both
Bottled: Bavarian Hefeweizen, Dortmunder, King of the North (2010), Apfelwein (2010), Lesser Wilderness Mead (2010), King of the North (2nd wine - 2010)

Old 10-19-2010, 07:43 PM   #10
joeboxer
Recipes 

Thanks Rossnaree. I have been using a couple Poland Spring 3L bottles, which seem to be the perfect size and shape.

I hope to get some more stoppers and airlocks soon but until then I have been opening and closing the cap every day or two to release the pressure and co2. That seems to be what the airlock does anyway.

Quick Reply