Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > How to Bottle Sparkling Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2011, 01:56 AM   #1
Cjacquette81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How to Bottle Sparkling Wine

After i have completed my wine and its time to bottle how to i bottle it so that it will result in a sparkling wine? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 855 Times on 582 Posts
Likes Given: 2339

You'll have to prime it with juice or sugar & use either champagne bottles or beer bottles.
If you want to carb it higher than beer, go with the champagne bottles. You'll need the plastic stoppers, wire cages & the wire twisting tool. I find it's really easy to tap the plastic stoppers in with a rubber mallet. You could also try keeving, but I've never done it & cannot advise you on it. Hope this info helps. Regards, GF.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
Cjacquette81
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio
You'll have to prime it with juice or sugar & use either champagne bottles or beer bottles.
If you want to carb it higher than beer, go with the champagne bottles. You'll need the plastic stoppers, wire cages & the wire twisting tool. I find it's really easy to tap the plastic stoppers in with a rubber mallet. You could also try keeving, but I've never done it & cannot advise you on it. Hope this info helps. Regards, GF.
By prime it you mean? I keep reading about bottle bombs and I'm trying to avoid that

Old 04-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 855 Times on 582 Posts
Likes Given: 2339

Priming means adding some sort of fermentable sugar for the yeast to eat. After the bottle is sealed, the yeast eat the added sugar & make a small amount of additional alcohol & carbon dioxide. It's the carbon dioxide that carbonates the liquid. You avoid bottlebombs by using the proper bottle(s) for your application & adding the correct amount of priming sugar.

You might find this link useful, it's for beer, but the priciple is basiclly the same.
http://www.brewheads.com/priming.php
This will also help
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-4.html

I'm guessing you want a sparkling wine, but with a level of carbonation closer to beer or soda than higher like champagne. I've learned that some wines just don't work well with higher levels of carbonation; apple wine doesn't carbonate the same as champagne.
Regards, GF.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Bottle bombs will occur when you have
a) the wrong type of bottle (such as regular wine bottles, instead of champagne or beer bottles)
b) more pressure than the bottle can handle. (This is really part of a.).
c) defective bottles

Some people add some measured amount of juice or sugar to get a little bit of fermentation, enough to create the desired amount of pressure in the bottle which is absorbed into the wine/beer. Some people will just use carbon dioxide from a tank to carbonate the liquid, then subsequently bottle. Either way, as long as you have bottles that can handle pressure, they shouldn't explode unless you surpass that pressure (or there's a crack or weak area in the bottle).

I don't think I've considered the different wines and carbonation levels. Are you aware of any charts describing various desired carbonation levels in varieties of wine, like there are in any beer priming chart?

Quick Reply