Hooch (Jungle Juice)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lookin4space

Reaction score
Recently tried a friend's brew- he copied an old WWII recipe wrote down by a veteran stationed in the Pacific Theater simply called, "jungle juice". Not bad, but it had quite a potent kick, like drinking dregs. I think all it was was ripe fruit in an enamel pot with water covered with a towel allowed to set in a warm spot for a few days.

No wine yeast, no airlock or close fermenter, utensils and must washed but not sanitized, tap water, no ABV check, no clarifier, no pH test, no Brick test... just brew.

What fascinated me is how my friend violated every single known rule of modern home brewing and still had a decent product. :ban:

Some places have good wild yeast, some don't. The problem with this method is you are rolling the dice. It may come out fine or it may not. Modern wine making improves the probability that the wine will come out tasting acceptable.

Back