New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Homemade Rum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2009, 01:54 PM   #31
jonp9576
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

hahaha, that gave me a good laugh this morning

On Tap:warrior apa
On Tap: crystal light
On Tap:BM's centenial blonde
"Just remember that the real enemy here are those wine drinking pussies."-BierMuncher

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2009, 04:09 PM   #32
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This could work BUT... they way you are approaching it I suspect it won't turn out well.

Incremental feeding would really help. Yeast don't reproduce well under high osmotic pressures. I would start at 8% ABV potential with wine yeast, or 12% ABV potential with turbo yeast and feed it every day with a small O2 addition for the first few days. Repeat until the sugar addition no longer causes a visible increase in fermentation activity.

Low FAN levels will result in excessive fusel alcohol production. Unless you are adding molasses, you will need to use yeast nutrient at recommended doses for wine fermentation. For higher gravity fermentations, Fermaid-K added 1/3rd of the way to terminal gravity is also a good idea.

The pH of the wash is likely too high and needs to be adjusted for the yeast to remain healthy. Saccharomyces yeast perform best between a starting pH of 4.5 and 5 which is where wine must and beer wort begin, and end with a pH of around 4. I would recommend using acid blend for winemaking since it is relatively flavor neutral, and testing with pH test strips until you get between a pH of 4.5-5.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 08-24-2009, 12:02 PM   #33
MBM30075
Recipes 

Well, for this run, done is done. I can't go back and change this one. I did go ahead and put the jug in a swamp bath to keep fermentation temps down.

My target for this was twofold: 1) have fun (DONE!) and 2) hopefully get a "liquor" that I could mix with soda or something for a drink that tastes decent to good. (Still waiting...)

Anyway, if I pour the whole thing out, I'm out a small amount of time (seriously, took 20 minutes to brew) and $8. Oh, well, right?

BUT, even if it goes terribly, I've had fun and hopefully learned a thing or two.

Sacc, what does FAN stand for? When you said a small O2 addition, do you mean like stirring with a whisk? (I don't have an aeration stone). How would I do that in a 1 gallon jug that takes a #6.5 bung?

I added a full tablespoon of yeast nutrient, which is 3 times what's recommended. I've got some acid blend, so if I do this again, I'll add it.

8% ABV would be what, 1.065 or so SG? So, something like 1/4 to 1/3 of the sugar I used to start? Then add at what rate? 1/10th per day, so that on day 11 I'm adding the last of the sugar?

Sacc, thanks for the positive response. I mean, you actually HELPED me. Your post was a little better than:

"You're making HOOCH! Why are you so stupid?"

Thanks!

Old 08-24-2009, 12:48 PM   #34
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBM30075 View Post
Well, for this run, done is done. I can't go back and change this one. I did go ahead and put the jug in a swamp bath to keep fermentation temps down.

My target for this was twofold: 1) have fun (DONE!) and 2) hopefully get a "liquor" that I could mix with soda or something for a drink that tastes decent to good. (Still waiting...)

Anyway, if I pour the whole thing out, I'm out a small amount of time (seriously, took 20 minutes to brew) and $8. Oh, well, right?

BUT, even if it goes terribly, I've had fun and hopefully learned a thing or two.

Sacc, what does FAN stand for? When you said a small O2 addition, do you mean like stirring with a whisk? (I don't have an aeration stone). How would I do that in a 1 gallon jug that takes a #6.5 bung?

I added a full tablespoon of yeast nutrient, which is 3 times what's recommended. I've got some acid blend, so if I do this again, I'll add it.

8% ABV would be what, 1.065 or so SG? So, something like 1/4 to 1/3 of the sugar I used to start? Then add at what rate? 1/10th per day, so that on day 11 I'm adding the last of the sugar?

Sacc, thanks for the positive response. I mean, you actually HELPED me. Your post was a little better than:

"You're making HOOCH! Why are you so stupid?"

Thanks!
Regarding your addition of yeast nutrient. More is not necessarily better. The nutrient contains or is all Di-Ammonium-Phosphate (DAP). If you use too much DAP it will taste like ammonia. That taste will never go away.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 08-24-2009, 01:28 PM   #35
mmb
FNG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3041 Times on 2968 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Temperature control will be very important for something with straight sucrose... might retard some of the fusel alcohols that the yeast will spew.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:42 PM   #36
jcobbs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Been following this off & on--don't know what you're going to end up with here but if you're going for a kind of rum-ish beverage, when it's finished why not try flavoring a sample with a bit of rum flavoring? Watkins makes a pretty good one. Since you're just playing around it can't hurt anything. And if you do manage to pull this off without a lot of fusels, then you could end up with something not too bad...

Old 08-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #37
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBM30075 View Post
Use a bucket. You can find #1 or #2 plastic buckets cheap at any hardware store. Once you are done adding the last of the sugar you can rack into your jug and let it finish in there.

Too much yeast nutrient is not a good thing. ^^^^

Quote:
8% ABV would be what, 1.065 or so SG? So, something like 1/4 to 1/3 of the sugar I used to start?
Yep. Maybe start with 1/3rd, and stretch the sugar additions out so you are doing it over about a 10 day period. Much easier to do this in a bucket with a (sanitized) whisk. For the first few additions you can whisk vigorously to whip air into it. After that just enough to drive off CO2 without splashing too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 08-24-2009, 07:10 PM   #38
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla View Post
Regarding your addition of yeast nutrient. More is not necessarily better. The nutrient contains or is all Di-Ammonium-Phosphate (DAP). If you use too much DAP it will taste like ammonia. That taste will never go away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post

Too much yeast nutrient is not a good thing. ^^^^
I have never drank ammonia but if you smelled it, adding too much will give the same impression as if you did. Smell overpowers taste.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 08-24-2009, 07:27 PM   #39
jevchance
Recipes 

Here's a thought, in case what you end up with isn't what you were going for.

Since you're thinking about flavoring your "rum" with fruit anyway, why not start out trying to make a high-gravity wine instead? There are numerous recipes I could point you to.

There's also fortified wines. Make yourself a high-gravity wine, then add brandy to strengthen and flavor. I'm addicted to a fortified cherry wine called Cerise from a winery here in Michigan. Its made by mixing cherry wine with cherry brandy, and its delightful.
Chateau Chantal - - Fortified

Primarys: Empty
1 Gallon Secondaries: Strawberry Wine | Strawberry Wine | Red Raspberry Wine | Blueberry Raisin Wine
5 Gallon Secondaries: Hard Cider | Hard Cider
Bottle Conditioning: Brewers Best Red Ale
Drinking: 3 Year Mead or Banana Wine, Brewers Best American Light Ale, Apfelwein (Hooch)

Last edited by jevchance; 08-24-2009 at 07:40 PM. Reason: grammar

Old 08-25-2009, 03:24 AM   #40
bkov
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

i heard some yeast strains react better with table sugar then other strains.

i dont know if us05 is one of them, but for example if it is....would you be able to use us05 as the yeast then when it finishes(probably like 11%?), add the champagn yeast?

Quick Reply