Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > homemade mayhaw jelly wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013, 04:32 AM   #1
goteamwhatever
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default homemade mayhaw jelly wine

So I went to my great grandmothers and she gave me a bunch of mayhaw jelly she had made. So I brought it home with me on a mission to make homemade mayhaw jelly wine. So tonight I took about 12 cups of mayhaw jelly and put in stock pot with 20 cups of water and slowly brought to a boil skimming off what froth came to top, didn't get all of it. After it started boiling I removed it from the heat. Let sit for 15 minutes or so and poured it into my 5 Gallon carboy. Added cold water to bring to right under 5 gallon and added 5 crushed campden tablets to cup of hot water to dissolve then poured into carboy. checked sg which was at 1.040. I want a sweet wine so I added sugar to bring up sg. Got it to 1.080. Covered with clean rag secured with a band. Will check sg again tomorrow before I add my yeast. Got a package of lalvin k1 v1116.

All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one. Do you understand?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 04:33 AM   #2
goteamwhatever
Recipes 

We`ll see how it turns out. I'll keep y'all posted.

All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one. Do you understand?

Old 02-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
Goofynewfie
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 26

The k1v-1116 will make that ferment to dry with an abv of approx 10.5%. with enough sugar and nutrient that yeast is capable of reaching 18 percent.

You cant always be young but you can always be immature

Old 02-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
goteamwhatever
Recipes 

Well I have that or fleishmans active dry from the grocery store lol. How do I get my alcohol content to 18 add more sugar or what

Old 02-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
goteamwhatever
Recipes 

I was shooting for an St of 1.140 to 1.180. But as I was adding sugar the sg was barely moving.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
Goofynewfie
Recipes 

You could add more sugar, but you will also need nutrient to get a higher %. This requires more monitoring and a longer aging time
Another option is to ferment dry and stabilize than backsweeten to get to your desired sweetness level

Old 02-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
goteamwhatever
Recipes 

If I make it dry just let it do its thing then how do I back sweeten. I've looked up a couple things about back sweetening. After I stabalize how do I sweeten? Sugar water or sweetened ever clear or what.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #8
Goofynewfie
Recipes 

Just add sugar until it is to your liking

Old 02-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
goteamwhatever
Recipes 

How do I get the sugar to completely dissolve. I don't wanna shake my wine do i

Old 02-16-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwhatever View Post
I was shooting for an St of 1.140 to 1.180. But as I was adding sugar the sg was barely moving.
Mayhaw jelly...love it. Wish I had some for waffles!

If adding dry sugar you will need to wait a while to take a new SG reading, stir well and make sure it is all dissolved, and do not forget to adjust for the temp calibration on your hydrometer. I even warm some of the must and dissolve the sugar in it. I do not use water since it just dilutes things. If you are able to toss granulated sugar into blender/food processor and process into superfine sugar it will dissolve almost immediately in the must.
Just remember that 1 cup sugar/gallon will raise SG by 0.020. That will help you in the future.

If you have not yet reached your target of 1.140-1.180, I would consider step feeding the must instead of stressing the yeast with a high gravity must. For example: start with an OG of 1.080-1.090'ish and when the SG has dropped by 1/3 you dose with nutrients, see staggered nutrient addition sticky, and add enough sugar to raise SG by another 0.030(keep track of additions and new hydro readings) and when that current SG drops by another 1/3 you stepfeed more fermentable. So your adjusted original gravity is 1.080+0.030+0.030 equal 1.140; and then repeat again if necessary. This technique is great and once you start doing this you may find you prefer this way.

Though of course, if you want a wine around 18% ACV then your OG of 1.140 is right on, and you can ferment dry, allow to clear/bulk age, then stabilize with sorbate plus k-meta and backsweeten with simple sugar syrup, or perhaps mayhaw syrup. I think you will find your jam/jelly wine clears quickly, go heavy on pectic enzyme, and may be ready to bottle in just three months, but if you can wait until six...so much better.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Quick Reply