Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Homegrown Wines

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2013, 06:00 AM   #11
Hummer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

We grow apples, apricots and peaches and often have an abundance left to make a variety of wines. Fruit wines can be wonderful, and inexpensive to make when you grow your own fruit. You can't buy wines like these in any store.

Apricots and peaches are best fermented on the whole fruit, apples are better pulped and pressed, then the cider is fermented. Often I'll ferment other fruits with apple cider. Here's a couple I made last fall, a Berry Berry Peach using cranberry, blackberry, raspberry, apricot, peach and other fruit from the fridge. The batch on the right is a spiced peach.

Here's another fruity mix of apricots, peaches and a few other goodies including allspice, cloves and cinnamon stick.

Or, how about peaches and apple cider combined with jalapenos from the garden to make a Jalapeno Apple Peach with just the right amount of heat?

Old 03-21-2013, 06:32 AM   #12
okemasis
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Love this post - My backyard apple tree is the reason I got into homebrew.
I bought the house in the fall and the apples were rotting on the ground. I've since gone three summers without wasting a single one, and I'm currently bottle ageing my second batch of cider (I didn't ferment it the first year). One year I would like to try a batch without any additives and let the 'yeast fairies' do their thing.

I also have a nanking cherry bush and I've been saving the ones I don't eat in my freezer. Has anyone made any nanking wine? I'm debating mixing it with my apple cider this year . I also have bountiful rhubarb patch that I really should ferment! ( and dandelions!)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 06:33 AM   #13
okemasis
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Hummer - You're very adventurous with your apple peach jalepeno. I'm going to keep that one in the back of my mind!

Old 03-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #14
ashappard
Recipes 

I make a blackberry and black raspberry ports from berries picked in my yard and wild berries I find wherever I can. It is the most cost effective way to make something like that since a lot of fruit is needed and it can be expensive to buy 70-80lbs for a batch.

I also keep an eye on the store for good sales on fruit and take the bananas that are about to be thrown out.

wines from fruit you grow yourself seem better to me, maybe because you hand select the fruit at the peak of freshness

Old 03-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #15
jetgemini
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarles
So I'm curious to see if anyone has ever made any wines from fruits/berries they have grown themselves. The idea hit me today while pruning back our ever growing raspberry patch...."I COULD MAKE ALCOHOL FROM THESE!!!"

What are your past experiences?
What plants did you use?
Any words of wisdom?

I think I may try a Raspberry/Blackberry/Elderberry-Wine/Cider this fall...
Hi I am traveling in Southern California and planning to start up my winemaking when I get home to South Carolina. I could not resist a sale on red and green seedless grapes so I processed them and froze them to transport south. I have never done this before. Any suggestions will be appreciated

Old 03-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #16
abelseville
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgemini View Post
Hi I am traveling in Southern California and planning to start up my winemaking when I get home to South Carolina. I could not resist a sale on red and green seedless grapes so I processed them and froze them to transport south. I have never done this before. Any suggestions will be appreciated
When I started I used "the joy of home wine making" by Terry Garey. He makes wine out of just about anything. Follow his guidelines for specific gravity and Total acidity, throw in some pectic enzyme and a bit of tannin and yeast nutrient and you can't go wrong...

oh and some sulfite too

Old 03-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #17
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgemini View Post

Never done frozen Grapes myself! I imagine its the same as fresh grapes, but you may not need much pectic enzyme, as the freezing has helped to destroy the cell walls of the fruit.

Try picking up 'Vines to Wines' from Jeff Cox. Or 'Techniques in Home Winemaking' by Daniel Pambianchi. Very comprehensive.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:54 PM   #18
delvorak
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was not aware that freezing fruit removed the need for pectin enzyme. Are you sure on that?

Old 03-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #19
Goofynewfie
Recipes 

Liked 268 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 27

It doesnt. It just makes it easier to get juice out by rupturing some of the cell walls.
if you don't have any pectic enzyme freezing the fruit will be your better option.
it will also make it easier for your pectic enzyme to do the job

You cant always be young but you can always be immature

Old 03-25-2013, 12:47 AM   #20
delvorak
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ok, thanks. I misread what he said (missed the "much" part of the sentence).

Quick Reply