New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > home made wine corker?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2008, 06:32 AM   #1
movement
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default home made wine corker?

was wondering if anyone here has used house hold items or made a quick trip to home depot and made they're own wine corker. cause they want to charge $100 for a good one
if you look at them its mainly leverage just i wouldn't know how to make it so i don't snap the bottle

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts

A top of the line floor corker costs over $100 but the floor corker I use is only $68 at Northern Brewer. A double lever corker, like I used for two years, is only $25 and you can get a very basic plastic plunger corker for $6 that is likely better than anything you can make. Do yourself a favor and buy a proven design. Wine takes a lot of time and not an insignificant amount of money to make. Don't risk snapping bottle necks with a homemade corker.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:40 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

I've been doing a forum search, and I swear that someone posted a design for one on here a few months back....Search didn't turn up anything. But I'm pretty sure that there was a parts list and everything. I'll keep looking.

(I'm all about the DIY )

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-16-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

I'm BAAACK!!!

Yuri Rage posted a thread on a DIY bench capper for beer bottles that could probably be modified to cork....After you read the thread you might want to PM him (he's a mcgyvering genuis) and maybe he'll help you come up with the corker part of it...Then you could post your plans, and we'll have both a corker and a capper design in our DIY library!

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-bench-capper-26795/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #5
ms8miranda
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wanna' know, too!!!

Old 09-16-2008, 09:06 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3855 Times on 2816 Posts
Likes Given: 644

One of the things to consider is that commercial corkers don't just force the cork into the bottle, they actually compress the cork so that it is smaller, and then "grows" to fit the inside of the bottle. So, if you were to make one, you'd have to have something work to compress the round cork, and then something to push and insert it. It sounds like an expensive project to me- it might be cheaper to buy a $25 double level corker. They work ok, much better than the more expensive "gilda" corker, but not as well as the Portuguese floor corker. I paid about $55 for my floor corker, I think.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:27 AM   #7
movement
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I'm BAAACK!!!

Yuri Rage posted a thread on a DIY bench capper for beer bottles that could probably be modified to cork....After you read the thread you might want to PM him (he's a mcgyvering genuis) and maybe he'll help you come up with the corker part of it...Then you could post your plans, and we'll have both a corker and a capper design in our DIY library!

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-bench-capper-26795/
wow, i have a clamp just like that laying around, its such a good idea too! my girls making sangria tonight, Im going to take one of the synthetic corks and try to cork the wine she uses with the clamp to see how well it works/how risky it would be. if it aint worth it then ill just pick up a double lever for the time being.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:55 AM   #8
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 3

When I bottle wine I rent a portuguese floor corker for $10 or so for the night from the LHBS. Sure is cheaper than hiring a hooker! Plus hookers tend to not know how to bottle properly anyways.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 09-18-2008, 12:17 PM   #9
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Hey Movement, before you try bottling with a clamp, he did not do that. He just used that as a base set of parts to build his own capper. He never just clamped the cap on, sorry if this isn't what you meant, but it seemed like it was and that's a bit scary if you try that.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:31 AM   #10
msnewbee
Recipes 

ebay them there cheep!

Quick Reply