The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Holy Carboy Batman!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #151
vinper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

yes,I found the #3 at walmart with caps ...funny were $7 at one walmart $12.50 at another ,, the orange rubber caps dont fit the ones with caps unless you cut the neck .. make sure they are were you want them before installing airlock or when you try to move them. they will squirt and suck the fluid out of airlock ...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #152
Felixio
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie View Post
Has anyone found these in the DC/VA/MD area?
A little late, I know.
In the Greater Baltimore Area, I have found that the Giant in Catonsville, the Home Depot in Landsdown, and the Walmart in Landsdown all have rosin code 1 bottles filled with water (no indication yet on BB status). Until today I didn't know you could get them empty from any source other than my LHBS, so now I'll be looking for them.

The ones at Giant and Home Depot have handles, but they're solid plastic and don't hold liquid. But the ones at Walmart have the handles that are hollow and allow liquid inside of them. To me this is an inferior choice, since cleaning inside a handle is a pain in the ass.

PM me if you'd like me to keep you up to date on my scouring of the Baltimore area for water (Better) bottles.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #153
bpparker
Recipes 

Is the stamp located on the bottom of the bottle? I joined this forum site to specifically find a group of people talking about this subject. I just started homebrewing wine and had the same exact question on whether I could use the 5 gal jugs I bought for the water as a carboy. So I assume I just need to make sure it's a #1 PTE or #1 or 2 HDPE? Thanks for the help!

Old 09-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #154
brazedowl
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpparker View Post
Is the stamp located on the bottom of the bottle? I joined this forum site to specifically find a group of people talking about this subject. I just started homebrewing wine and had the same exact question on whether I could use the 5 gal jugs I bought for the water as a carboy. So I assume I just need to make sure it's a #1 PTE or #1 or 2 HDPE? Thanks for the help!
the short answer is yes. That's what I do all my fermenting in. I don't own a single glass carboy. Just blue 5 gallon plastic water jugs.

the long answer is yes, but there is the issue of oxygen permeability through the plastic. But luckily I'm a high school science teacher and have dissolved oxygen probes. As soon as I can track down a glass carboy to be the control group, I'm going to track dissolved oxygen concentrations over a period of a year and see what I get.
In Progress: Ginger Spiced Cider
Bottled: oodles and oodles

"What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?"

Quick Reply