Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Hippie Wine Anyone?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009, 03:23 PM   #41
jevchance
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

For the record, I don't rack to a smaller container. However, I'm very good at losing very little must each time I rack. A racking cane is key.

As far as the sulfite and sorbate, I don't think they technically ever lose their effect. They are both chemical compounds that once present, do their job without changing. The potassium sorbate forms sorbic acid that inhibits yeast reproduction, and once added, I don't think yeast will ever effectively reproduce in that must ever again. However, I have not tried this and cannot confirm.

As for the general tomfoolery in this thread, I suggest to all to keep a thick skin (after all, it is an anonymous web forum).

Primarys: Empty
1 Gallon Secondaries: Strawberry Wine | Strawberry Wine | Red Raspberry Wine | Blueberry Raisin Wine
5 Gallon Secondaries: Hard Cider | Hard Cider
Bottle Conditioning: Brewers Best Red Ale
Drinking: 3 Year Mead or Banana Wine, Brewers Best American Light Ale, Apfelwein (Hooch)

Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 03:49 PM   #42
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4283 Times on 3121 Posts
Likes Given: 830

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman View Post

How long should it take for campden and sorbates to lose their effect enough for fermentation to restart?
They should never lose their effectiveness. That's the point. You can sweeten wines by using sorbate and campden, without a chance of refermenting in the bottle years later.

Also, Jack Keller may not have always said in each recipe to rack to a smaller container, but it's pretty much considered "Winemaking 101".

Any more namecalling, (and it case you didn't know, the word "idiot" is considered a name) and we'll be all done here. You came in to ask questions. I can't help it if you don't like the answers. There are other forums that might be better suited to your temperment.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:17 PM   #43
jevchance
Recipes 

Apparently the first ban didnt work on him.

These forums are better off without these kinds of people.

Primarys: Empty
1 Gallon Secondaries: Strawberry Wine | Strawberry Wine | Red Raspberry Wine | Blueberry Raisin Wine
5 Gallon Secondaries: Hard Cider | Hard Cider
Bottle Conditioning: Brewers Best Red Ale
Drinking: 3 Year Mead or Banana Wine, Brewers Best American Light Ale, Apfelwein (Hooch)

Closed Thread

Quick Reply