The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Hippie Wine Anyone?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2009, 06:47 PM   #31
pizzaman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

like i said i've been "sampling" it regularly for months as well as racking it. for anyone who knows anything about wine, everytime you rack it you top it up with water to reduce head space. sorry you weren't aware of that svengoat, maybe next time you have a smartass comment you should read what you're replying to eh...LOL

Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2009, 08:55 PM   #32
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman View Post
like i said i've been "sampling" it regularly for months as well as racking it. for anyone who knows anything about wine, everytime you rack it you top it up with water to reduce head space. sorry you weren't aware of that svengoat, maybe next time you have a smartass comment you should read what you're replying to eh...LOL
Well, I understand that others might have joked about decreasing the ABV, but your tone here is pretty dick-ish.

If you're topping up with so much water that you're watering down your wine, you're doing it wrong. I've probably made 600 gallons more of wine than you have, and I have yet to insult others and tell them that topping up decreases your ABV more than 50%.

If you went from 18% ABV to 8% ABV, you added 5 gallons of water to it. I have a feeling your calculations are off.

If it's good, drink up. I'm glad it worked out for you.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:14 AM   #33
pizzaman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

dick-ish is my middle name. haven't you seen any of my other threads? hell, i've been nearly banned from this forum a few times, and "successfully" banned several more. i love it when people dish **** out and then get all offended when it's dished right back to em. makes me laugh a little in that warm fuzzy place on the inside. you know the place i'm talking about.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:21 AM   #34
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
dick-ish is my middle name. haven't you seen any of my other threads? hell, i've been nearly banned from this forum a few times, and "successfully" banned several more. i love it when people dish **** out and then get all offended when it's dished right back to em. makes me laugh a little in that warm fuzzy place on the inside. you know the place i'm talking about.
I'm not one to dish **** out and enjoy getting it back.

If you can't play nice, go play somewhere else.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:54 AM   #35
jesse
Recipes 

Quote:
lol lol lol lol........lol

Old 08-31-2009, 02:00 AM   #36
jesse
Recipes 

Quote:
For anyone that knows anything about common sense is that Most people rack to smaller containers..that way they don't change anything.
oh yeah...... lol (at you)

Old 08-31-2009, 04:18 AM   #37
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Location: Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah Chahles.
Liked 160 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 22

You know, it's ok to have absolutely no idea what you are doing with your winemaking. We've all made mistakes before, I'm made a few doozies. That's how you learn. But to have no idea what you are doing and to act like a pompous ass is a bad combination. To revel in being a pompous ass and celebrate getting tossed off other boards because you are such a pompous ass is the mark of a real knucklehead.

Hopefully you will sober up tomorrow and have the common sense to edit your posts.

PTN

Alcohol!
Because no-one ever started a great story with, "I was just finishing a lovely salad when..."

Follow my Wood Fired Oven Build Thread here

Old 08-31-2009, 04:23 AM   #38
JebCkr
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The term "you can't pollish ****" comes to mind. But I like the thinking, if it's going to be crappy it might as well be strong. Cheers.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:46 PM   #39
jevchance
Recipes 

Here's my experience with wines from scratch.

1) They take forever to mature. Most of my wines are drinkable at 1 year, and hit their stride at 2 years. My dandelion wine took 3 years. No joke.

2) A little sweetening goes a long way, especially on fruit wines. Wine conditioner is your friend. If its too late for that, try a little conditioner in the glass. Honey also works, but doesn't dissolve well in a glass of chilled white wine.

3) If your wines are a bit flat, add some concentrated grape juice (the good stuff, not the drinking juice from the freezer section) or some chopped raisins.

Out of curiosity, what were these wines that tasted so bad to you? Whites? Reds? Fruit wines?

Primarys: Empty
1 Gallon Secondaries: Strawberry Wine | Strawberry Wine | Red Raspberry Wine | Blueberry Raisin Wine
5 Gallon Secondaries: Hard Cider | Hard Cider
Bottle Conditioning: Brewers Best Red Ale
Drinking: 3 Year Mead or Banana Wine, Brewers Best American Light Ale, Apfelwein (Hooch)

Old 09-03-2009, 12:50 PM   #40
pizzaman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

MOD EDIT- Don't start again.

to the other responses, also very insightful, I was not aware that you should rack to a smaller container as every recipe I've read says to, and if you'll notice I have quotes here to indicate that I'm "quoting" someone: "Rack, top up and refit airlock", referenced here by jack keller from winemaking.jackkeller.net, I only included a couple of his recipes but you get the idea no?
winemaking: Bilberry Wines
winemaking: mustang grape wine

I guess you should tell him that he's not supposed to top up his wines, I'm sure he'd love to hear from you and your expertise.

now lets take a look at my last useful statement "If I had to guess I'd say it is down to about 6-8% alcohol. I'm considering dumping a bunch of fruit and honey in it and seeing if I can't get fermentation going again to boost abv and add some flavor. Not sure how long it takes for the campden and sorbates to lose their effect enough for fermentation to restart, it was about a year last time..."

so again, here is the question, in bold for your viewing ease:

How long should it take for campden and sorbates to lose their effect enough for fermentation to restart?

Last edited by Yooper; 09-03-2009 at 03:43 PM. Reason: No need to flame

Closed Thread

Quick Reply